Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this board and am looking for answers. I have a 2001 Rio that doesn't want to start after running for a while, or after a gas fillup. I have had the fuel system flushed, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. I have also had the TSBs done. I have made sure the gas cap is good and tight. The Check Engine light does not come on. The motor just turns over like it is not getting either spark or fuel. After about 5 minutes it will start and run rough. I turn it off, wait a minute and then it starts just fine. No more problems until it feels like doing it again. Our dealer is starting to scratch his head on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Welcome to the forum; I'm sure you'll learn a lot here.

I know you said you had the TSB's done, but are you sure they did the ECM reprogram TSB?

How does the car seem to run normally?

Do you get any fuel spraying out or do you have problems filling the tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we had the computer updates and the fuel rail TSB. After the car starts, it runs like a champ. It doesn't happen every time; usually only after it has been driven for some distance. It does not spray fuel. No leaks anywhere.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Wow, this could be a tough one. It sounds like it could be heat related, like a sensor is getting warm and not working properly; possibly affecting the timing while the engine is cranking.

You said when you start it after 5 minutes, it runs rough. Well, I suggest you see if you can get it to run rough for a few minutes. Hopefully, this will set at least one code so the dealer will have a place to start. If it runs rough, it's probably misfiring. Is it misfiring one cylinder? Two cylinders? Are the two cylinders on the same coil? See where I'm going with this?

I'm not sure what other information I can offer you without being able to run some tests. I hope your dealer can find something wrong so you're not stuck with it like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we got it!

We took it back to the dealer last Monday and told them to keep it until it did for them what it did for us. When this thing does'nt start, the Check Engine light does not come on.

Well, it finally pooped out on them. When Brad (Dealer) hooked it up to the computer, it showed a faulty "Start Sensor", located near the base of the timing chain cover. It had a hairline crack through the center of it.

Ergo, starts when it is cold, but not after it gets hot, expanding the crack. The car apparently uses this to time the rotation of the engine with the Electronic Ignition much like an air conditioner has a starting capacitor. I am probably showing my ignorance of EI, but I was raised on carburators and headers.

Anyway, happy ending so far. We are still skiddish, but we will see.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's actually the crankshaft position sensor. It'a s hall-effect type sensor that senses metal. There is a metal wheel with three teeth that passes through the center of it, and every time the metal passes through the sensor it sends a signal to the ECM, basically letting it know what position the crank is in.

I'm kind of surprised it ran fine after it was started, because the sensor is a pretty important part of the electronics. I'm glad they got it fixed for you though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts