Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. I have an 01 Kia Rio with some kind of problem in the drivers side front end. It wobbles really bad at low speeds and it burns through bearings alot. I replaced the whole hub and knuckle assembly including spindle and bearings so none of this is the problem. I also ruled out the rotor and tires because I switched them out so this is not the problem. I also put my little donut on this side of the car and it's really noticeable then, I guess because of the tire size. I jacked up the front of the car and let the tires spin freely while the car was idling and it's definitely the drivers side that is the problem I can see it clearly. I don't have a clue as to what could cause this. I don't think the ball joint or the cv joint is bad at all and as far as I can tell nothing is bent at all. I was thinking it might be the axle is bent however It just seems like it would be really hard for that to bend. I do know that someone before me did replace the cv axle on the passenger side of the car but the drivers side is the same axle. I was going to just try replacing the axle and giving it a shot but the axle is really stuck in the transmission and there is hardly any room on this car to get anything in there. I thought about buying an axle puller but I hate to put more money into it unless I'm sure this is the problem. I'm wondering if I should just take it somewhere now. If anyone has any help I'd really appreciate it. Also if anyone knows how I could check to see if the axle is bent or maybe the cv joint, ball joint, or even the stabilizer bar. Is there an accurate way I could check these. I hate to do it but I think I might just have to give in and take it somewhere on this one.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
I jacked up the front of the car and let the tires spin freely while the car was idling and it's definitely the drivers side that is the problem I can see it clearly.

I was thinking it might be the axle is bent however It just seems like it would be really hard for that to bend.
What do you see? If it's wobbling, it could only be the outer part of the axle (spindle?), but you said you replaced that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Hello Richard...
You said "I replaced the whole hub and knuckle assembly including spindle and bearings so none of this is the problem." One thing you can't do is just replace the bearing...It MUST be preloaded, measured and the proper shim(s) need(s) to selected...Failure to do so will result in premature bearing failure and problems like you are describing...
Something to look into..
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep it's definitely not the bearings. The last time I had them done I took it to Kia specifically and had them put new ones in. They went out really quick so I figured something in the hub was making them go bad because I had already had them changed once before by a shop. When they went bad even after Kia did it I figured the spindle was to big or something because it did have an aftermarket spindle on it. So I replaced the whole hub assembly which included bearings, spindle and everything already put together. It could maybe be the outer part of the axle spindle I actually didn't replace the axle or anything on it. I replaced the outside spindle I guess you'd call it maybe. The part that goes onto the axle assembly. If it is the outside of the axle do you know if there is a way to tell for sure if it's bent? I would just throw a new axle in there if it wasn't such a pain to get out, just to rule it out. Does anyone know if those axle pullers they have at autozone would work on this particular car? There is not much room for anything in there. I've actually never run into an axle this hard to get out of the tranny until now.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
One other item to consider is the wheel rim: if bent, it will adversely affect vehicle handling -> and shorten the life of the spindle & bearings,

If that rim has extra or larger wheel weights on it vs. the other rims on the vehicle, may want to consider getting it checked / fixed, or replaced.

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually changed the whole rim out. I first tried putting it on the passenger side with the front end in the air and it still happened. Then I put the donut in the trunk on the drivers side and it still had the wobble. I also drove it with the donut on the messed up side and when I did that it was extremely noticeable. You can really feel the car moving around, I guiess because the donut is so small it really picks up the movement as your driving.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I can relate to the spare donut transmitting more feedback, they really are for emergency use only.

I don't know enough about the setup of the Rio's front spindle to offer guidance, but if the CV Axle is similar to the Ford Aspire here -

when we changed out the CV Axles on the Aspire, one side changed out very easy, the other was a bear to replace. It ended up taking (3) people, with the vehicle on a professional shop lift to remove: (1) to hold the Axle, (2) to pry on either side opposite with a pry bar to pry out -> release the internal cir-clip from the transaxle.. Eesh. ( It was something that was definitely not suited for 'driveway' repair / on jack stands. )

If you can't get the Axle to release from the transaxle, you may want to consider taking it to a shop w/ a professional lift to safely remove,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts