Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Kia Rio stopped instantly in the middle of a left hand turn, it just simply turned off, no noise of anykind. Luckily we didn't cause an accident.

No indications this was going to happen prior to it happening, everything running normal.

The car was towed and mechanic says that timing belt "broke", smashed all the pistons, car will require a new engine. Car has 122,000km. Cost is going to be $2700 for used engine.

Manual says change at 96,000, dealership has sign posted saying 106,000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The timing belt is considered a maintenance item, like brakes, tires and oil. If you neglect normal maintenance like replacing the belts or brakes at the recommended interval, then it is you who puts your own safety as well as the safety of others in jeopardy. It is very unfortunate that the situation happens at all, but you can not expect to just put gas and nothing else into a car and expect it to last as long as yours has. Every manufacture states in the manual the recommended replacement time or mileage interval. And every manufacture recommends normal maintenance which includes checking the belts.
Over 75% or so cars out there have a belt set up; Honda has it, Toyota, Gm, Ford, and Nissan too. I think ever car manufacturer has at least one motor they make that has a belt on it. You are in for a big fight if you think you can get a recall.
I'm sorry for what happen to you but you put yourself in that situation. You cannot expect any car to run 100K miles on gas alone. It is you and your mechanic who is to blame. And your mechanic can only advise you as to what he recommends replacing, so pick your mechanic wisely and listen to what he says.

Allen
:unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same happened to me yesterday, I was doing 70 at the time on a motorway, in my 2001 Shuma. My car is on 47,000 so I am told shouldn't have snapped yet. See what Kia say when they open after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The rubber timing belt is VERY common, wouldn't like to put a figure on it, but a large portion of engines run happily with a timing belt, one snapping is unfortunate, assuming car has been serviced correctly and the belt replaced at the stated intervals it shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Morning Guys,

I have owned my rio for 2 years now, and i have just replaced the timing belt at the 100,000km mark. (Actually did it at 97,000kms) Quite a costly excercise, however it appears its cheaper that the $3000 option.

Grizzly, how many Kms/Miles has your Rio done?

Thanks Guys,

Look forward to being around here a bit more!

Compmatt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY timing belt was changed and it still did this. You guys can say all you want about maintance and blah blah blah. BUt I sevrvied my car according to the manual and it still happened. KIA has a problem and it needs to be fixed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty harsh words Allen, try to tone it down a little.

The fact that kia, as well as many other manufacturers, builds an interference engine is the sad fact here. From what I know about kias from reading the boards, they seem to make the engine pretty beefy but yet that engine can be blown by a flimsy belt.

The belt on my 02 rio shredded at 87000 kms, and like grizzly, stopped dead, nothing. They installed a new head and 3 new pistons under warranty and without question. That was great. My engine light was off and on for about a month but they said to drive it if there were no problems... Go figure

Grizzly, if you got 122k out of the original belt, consider yourself lucky. It shouldn't have been left that long.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
My Dealer (Toronto) recommends changing timing belt at 86000kms, or 60000 miles. the KIA shop manual says 60K miles or 105K miles in California only. Even California cars have to be checked at 60K + 90K miles and changed at 105K. Maybe the milder weather is easier on belts? I cant think of any other possible reason for the difference in change intervals.
After reading all these horror stories, I am going to change mine at 70K kms just to be safe, but if my engine blows, I think I will try to stick in a Nissan SR20 or something similar if it will fit.
byron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by rhynes@Jan 24 2006, 01:13 PM
Pretty harsh words Allen, try to tone it down a little.

The fact that kia, as well as many other manufacturers, builds an interference engine is the sad fact here. From what I know about kias from reading the boards, they seem to make the engine pretty beefy but yet that engine can be blown by a flimsy belt.

The belt on my 02 rio shredded at 87000 kms, and like grizzly, stopped dead, nothing. They installed a new head and 3 new pistons under warranty and without question. That was great. My engine light was off and on for about a month but they said to drive it if there were no problems... Go figure

Grizzly, if you got 122k out of the original belt, consider yourself lucky. It shouldn't have been left that long.

Manufacturers build interference engines to minimize tolerances and increase efficiency. Also, timing belts are not flimy at all - they are quite sturdy, but they do wear out after time. My Rio owners manual states clearly to replace the belt at 60,000mi/96,000km OR 5 years, which ever comes first.

The reason Kia and ALL other manufacturers tell you to replace the timing belt at a specific mileage is because IT WILL BREAK if you don't!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by rhynes@Jan 24 2006, 11:13 AM
The belt on my 02 rio shredded at 87000 kms
The reason Kia and ALL other manufacturers tell you to replace the timing belt at a specific mileage is because IT WILL BREAK if you don't!
No, Really??? Sorry, had to throw the smartass remark in there :)

Fact is, there's been alot of great little engines that were non-interference. Shred a timing belt, don't have to replace/rebuild the engine. This is the first car i've had with an interference engine. i've had them break in the past and it's a hundred dollar fix at the top end for a new belt.

The timing belt can be very flimsy, there are no guarantees. I've seen them break after 20k, as many can testify right? My dealer tells me that they've rebuilt/replaced many engines with broken belts after only 60,000 kms. Anything beyond 70k is borrowed time.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Timing belts are pretty strong. They are rubber and fiberglass, but if they get bent too much before or during the install they will fail earlier than expected. Honda makes a ton of interference engines, so this is not a "Kia" thing.

Also, if you beat the hell out of the engine, the belt will fail earlier. It will either break, strip teeth or skip time.

The belt should be inspected at 60K miles if you live in California by someone that knows what they are looking at. Even if I lived in California, I would change the belt at 60K. They will eventually stretch some, so keeping the belt fresh will help keep the timing where it needs to be and the engine running at it's best.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
132 Posts
The '06 Rio (under the "severe" maintenence schedule; and trust me...I'm sure %95 of us good ole American drivers beat the living daylights out of the little 4-banger and all fall under severe) calls for the T-belt to be replaced at 40k. If you don't believe me look at/find the manual for one. I'm curious to know what milage previous Rios (under the severe maintence schedule) call for the T-belt to be replaced.

I know they can go around 50k-60k, I've seen a few go around 50-60k on the Dodge 2.4L DOHC (luckily its a non-interference engine).

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
Grizzly, if you got 122k out of the original belt, consider yourself lucky. It shouldn't have been left that long
Ive got 125000 on the original belt.. Hell I track my car and beat it up all day long.. In my eyes buying a car that costs 8K (like my sephia when it was new in 99) drive it for 5 years and get 120000 miles outta it I already got my monies worth and am not going to spend 500 on a belt change. at the 5 year point on my sephia and the mileage on it, it was only worth about 800. so a 500 dollar service isnt worth it hence I bought another car parted out my sephia and made oh 1500 off the sephia parting it out and still hav a ton of parts left to part out.
I got 120000 outta the belt although I see a lot of peoples belts breaking at 50k 60k. I dont understand it? Do your fan belts break at 50K?? Ive never seen one unless it slipped, or was improperly installed. The timing belts are "supposed" to be more strong well at least youd think so.
Im 50/50 on the kia timing belt. I almost believe that some of the belts they used maybe were defective and or installed improperly considering the amount of timing belts i see breaking... but then again Ive got blah blah amount on mine. 50/50 dont know what to think. Ive never had any other belt break on any other car ever.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
Originally posted by acesneights41@Jan 24 2006, 08:26 AM
MY timing belt was changed and it still did this. You guys can say all you want about maintance and blah blah blah. BUt I sevrvied my car according to the manual and it still happened. KIA has a problem and it needs to be fixed
It's just the nature of things. People say the same thing about Volkswagens, and Toyotas, and Fords, and Chevys, et al. You get the point. Stuff happens. It doesn't mean there's a problem.

Take for example my job. I build, maintain and service a couple hundred computers at my job every month. I just got a new shipment in, and out of the 5 systems, one had a bad hard drive after being turned on for more than 30 minutes.

Stuff happens. Until there's a perfect process for making things, it will break at some point. It's like dice - all about the roll.

and of course I jinxed myself by saying this, and it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. :57:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, after reading your posts with regards to timing belts, I though it best to check with my dealer, being a woman who travells backroads most of the time, I dont need this happeing to me.
My service fellow told me that it is 104.000km strange I read so many different numbers. I must talk to him more about it when I go in on Wed to have my elec problem checked out.
Looks like I may need a new fuse box or elec box, oh god I hope not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:57: Hi Guys,

My rio has just done 90k, and planning to replace the belt.

How hard is it. ( I have changed the timing belt in my v6 pajero)

Or should I leave it for a dealer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Read me topic on timing belts in the Kia Sedona forum.

If the manufacturer states the belt has to be changed at 60k miles or 5 years, then presumably they have based this on some tests, and built in a safety factor. Then it must be reasonable for owners to assume that at 60k or 5 years replace your timing belt. If you don't you run the risk of the belt snapping. I would be comforting to think that if you belt snaps before that time/mileage any manufacturer would take some responsibility.

I fail to see what difference it makes it the vehicle does nor does not have a service record prior to the belt snapping. There is nowhere in the service record does it say "check timing belt". I have gone through all of my service sheets from previous services and not one of them say's check timing belt.

We have got to assume that if a manufactuere says change the timing belt at XX,000 miles or X years we are safe from the belt snapping or are covered by the manufacturers. If we are not covered by the manufacturer then what is the point of the stating this time period/mileage in the maintenance schedule.

I know in my case Kia state it is only a recommendation!! So what is the point of including it in the schedule. They may as well have well recomended changing it when you want.

I am pretty p***d of with the whole issue of timing belts and the attitude of Kia. My vehicle is fully serviced, 8 months out of warranty and Kia have washed their hand of the whole situation.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I believe all of the maintenance schedules say "inspect timing belt" at 20-30K miles, so they are asking that it be checked for abnormal wear.

·
Registered
'09 Kia Carnival, '10 Kia Grand Carnival
243 Posts
Timing Belts are preferred these days because they're cheap, easy to engineer & much easier than the older chains to replace, not to mention quieter! I have read of a BMW snapping a belt at 105 000 km, when replcement was scheduled for 100 000 km. Destroyed the motor, about $7 000.00 worth. Most Toyotas these days use belts & they have probably the worlds best reliability reputation. Interesting though, that the petrol Hiace motor uses a DOUBLE-ROW Timing-CHAIN. Same sort of thing that Race-engines use. Mine went 428 000 km without a problem or a rattle! :p

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
9 Posts
My dealership's Shop Foreman and I had a conversation about my 2005 RIOs timing belt. He says if I don't have it changed out at 60k miles, and it snaps and wastes the engine, its MY fault, and KIA will NOT fix it.
I looked in my manual annd it plainly states that the timing belt has to be changed at 60k. I asked him if I bought a belt from the dealership and I changed it if my warranty would still be good if the new belt busted and pranged the engine...he said yes...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts