Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Suburban Saturn Aura Sportage Bmw e31
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum but use another one for my other vehicle frequently and I know how helpful ya'll can be. 2001 sportage, has quit on me 3 times luckily I was pulling into my destination all 3 times. It cut of pulling in, I try to recrank nothing. Come back 20-30 min later starts like nothing happened. !st time mid Dec then wek before last then again on thus. getting more frequent.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Most common problem is the MAIN and STARTER relays...
You need to be careful where you get replacements. Rockauto.com and KIA are bothgood places...the "A" named autoparts stores have the wrong ones on their books.
If the relays are not at fault...look for items that are "heat" sensitive..
Cam and Crank sensors, Wiring on the coil packs, Starter solenoid, etc...
Do a search for "relay" in the Sportage area...The main relay supplies the current needed for the car to run...if it dies your car dies..
Dave

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
The CAM sensor is particularly sensitive to heat sink... when it quits set a cold wet rag on it, if you get restart the sensor is the culprit...

If not, check the main relays next.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Agreed......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I was a little leary of driving it to work tomorrow. Guess I'll try it and carry a wet rag with me.
Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Mike,

May also want to consider cleaning up ground points: battery cables, neg. bat. cable to ground tray, ground tray to engine ground strap, ground tray -> frame bolts (remove battery -> plastic battery tray, (3) or (4) bolts secure ground tray to frame) to ensure you have good grounds / power to components...

Winter use has higher electrical demands, making sure grounds are clean really helps w/ electrical load / preventing electrical issues in our Sporty's..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my water bottle and rag out today, no luck guess I'll order the relays and drive my other car for a few days.
Thanks
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts