Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a 2001 kia sportage but I notice that there is a clunk when I shift gears. The tech at the dealership claims that it is that way in all of them, something about chain linkage but i suspect he is telling a fine tale just to offload the unit. I feel that it is the u joints and they just don't want to replace them until the warranty runs out and I have to pay big bucks. Has anyone else had or heard of this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Janica

·
Registered
20 Posts
lol yes welcome to the world of head turning gearboxes( ppl will turn their heads when they hear it clunk)
just think how much noise a hundred sportages would make changing up from 1st to second gear :grouphug:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the replys, I love the kia and I am not really bothered by the clunk although it is indeed a head turner lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a late '97 Sportage here in Australia. It also clunks as the gears are changed. All the mechanics that I have talked to about this have stated that it is "KIA thing" and perfectly normal. The gearbox is (I was told) very heavily build to take lots of abuse :grin: However, I have given my gearbox a real workout as it jambed in reverse while I was bogged in sand on Fraser Island. It was impossible to change it back into 1st gear or even disengage from reverse. A bigger 4x4 pulled me out and as he did so, a great bang sound erupted from the gearbox. I seriously thought it had broken into a hundred pieces but it still worked perfectly and has done so ever since. The clunk is still there when changing gears but it can be "softened" conciderably by changing at slightly higher revs and changing smoothly. It is annoying though but you get used to it.
It reminds me of a story that happened over here with a GMC vehicle. The gearbox/engine started to make some noise. The driver simply turned up the volume of the radio to dull the sound. He kept turning the volume up until the car ran over something on the road and stopped. He had run over the engine that had fallen onto the road beneath the car. Some mothers' do have them! Yes, this is a true story.
Wedge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Man,

I have too the same sound when gear shifting. Thanks for the infor. I thought I am not handling the gears properly in Sportage. This clears my mind now.
Good day

·
Registered
3 Posts
my kia 2002 sportage story

bought a month ago in MO, broke down in MN made in to Duluth to Kia dealership Is two wheel stick and NO CLUNK, have been in autos with auto trans that clunked but my kia stick no clunk. But then I have a 'floating ground' that never gets fixed even after $2000.

Scenario: starter turns over, 2 seconds later engine fires and catches--------4 hours later car dies at idle at stop light------------4 hours later starter turns over, takes over 5 seconds to fire and catch and then dies. -----------------4 hours later starter turns over for over 8 seconds and no fire, tow to shop.

Dealership, after failing to fix the electrical problem which must be the bane of all KIA dealerships, repairing clutch needing repair, replacing fuel sending cylinder? that I thought was the electrical problem but NO, here it is again. This time they want $1000 to replace a 'master electrical unit' (I think, boy, if my husband was alive!!) and try very hard (even suggest it was my idea) to get me to trade the KIA for a used vehicle where I would have a monthly payment and an unknown repair past. I live on just over $1000 monthly social security. Does this sound right?

I got the KIA as I had a one-time lump sum settlement from SS which, thanks to a $4000 used KIA purchase (now doubled) and associated stays in motels, etc, I am now about broke. Thank You KIA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts