Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Hi
Can i dissconnect the fan belt that runs the air conditioning,to my Kia,,so that i may possably get a bit better fuel milage?Is there anything else that this belt runs?
Thanks !!:huh:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would leave it alone, hot summer you need it, even in the winter to help so the windows don't flog,

changing driving habits would be better, coast to stops, easy on the brakes, easy on the gas pedal, not fast starts or stops etc etc, tune up the rig, the rigfht amount of air in each tire, not etra weight in the cargo area. heres a funny one for you use the A/C and keep the windows up, this will help the air low go down the side of the rig and not to the back of the inside, it's all about wind drag. and roll ability.

you could go eletric cooling fan and do away with the cooling fan clutch, I have not done this, but others have, this would be better then removing the A/C belt.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
When the aircon is turned off the clutch on the aircon lets the pulley spin without engaging the compressor so it doesn't have much load and drag on the engine at all. So as long as aircon is off the compressor isn't turning and not much drag or extra fuel use. As said in the above post by bombardj1 look at other things he has suggested. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
I think i DO have an electric cooling fan in the front of the radiator.There is a fan there "round case" in front of the rad about 10 inches round?.......Could this be an electric fan,,or one that cools the transmission?I also still have the clutch fan....:eek:
glen101

·
Registered
125 Posts
the fan in front of the rad is for the A/C, what we are talking about is that some did some mods to put is a eletric fan on the engine side and did away with the old clutch fan system

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok,now i see what you mean.ok.Ill look into an electric fan ..for the engine side.
Thanks for all your help!!
glen101

1 - 6 of 6 Posts