Kia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to install a tach in my rio, ive taken it to a couple of places here, and they all say it isnt possiable. Ive been looking around and see that some people do have one installed. Anyone wanna tell me how to do so?? :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
You actually have 2 options.
you could go ahead and install an aftermarket tach. I think I can get you a how to to do this.

OR

All you really need to do is purchase a rio gauge cluster with tach. It will bolt in and connect with the same harnesses in the back. this is what I did with my car. I at first installed an aftermarket on but I got sick of seeing the big ole thing lol.

so I went onto ebay and purchased a whole gauge assembly for my car. They do go kinda cheap on there usually well under 50 (thats what youd spend on an aftermarket one anyhow). I got mine for 30 bucks.

Let me know if you wannna go the aftermarket route Ill see what i can find for a how to.
or
let me know if you want a stock cluster with a tach. Ill either get you a link to a cheap one or ill see if my local junk yard has one....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
what I mean is right now your gauges you have gas, temp, speedo correct?

Now what i mean is go to a local junk yard or www.ebay.com and find a rio gauge cluster that has a tach it will bolt right in and use the current plugs that are in back of your current cluster. plug and play!

the tach will work. they wire the car to have all wires for all options even if you dont have that option the wires are still there. which route would you like to go?

Or what we do if you want an aftermarket tach is take the current cluster out but we will have to find the tach wire that is used to the stock rio cluster with tach and splice into it. (again like above the wire is there and ready to use)
then reassemble and you have aftermarket tach.
am i confusing you yet???

LOL the easiest route is to just buy a rio cluster from like above mentioned and just taking current one out and putting the one with tach in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
quoted from another site

"Remove the gauge cluster. Look at the back where the harnesses get plugged into. Find the one where there is the initial tab, but nothing after that. Find the corisponding wire that plugs into that section on the harness and splice the green wire to that. You can also run the green wire to the Diagnostics port under the hood. When lookin at the port from the front of the car, on the top row of holes, start from the right and go to the second hole. You can either stick the green wire in there or take the port apart and splice the green wire up to the wire that goes to that spot on the Diag. port."

the guy that did this is also a member of this site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stupid question maybe, but will this affect the odometer at all? IE, will it change the mileage, or is that part of it actually stored somewhere else, and it's just a display in the gauge cluster?

Pet peeve of mine to have a manual tranny & no tach... :angry:

Oh, and do I have to match the model year, or are they all the same??

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
this will not affect the od at all. Just tapping in to where if the car had a tach. They wire the car up even if it doesnt have that option. cheaper to do them all the exact same.
To be safe try and stay with the same model. Although I have a 99 sephia and used an 01 spectras cluster.
so id say like model years that are the same you can use like in the sephias case 98-01 sephias and spectras all had the same cluster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Apr 18 2005, 08:16 PM
this will not affect the od at all.

This part is not true, for an 01 Rio at least. My car has 76k miles on it, once I installed the new cluster with a tach, it read 20k miles. :p While that's tempting, I did the right thing and disassembled both guage clusters & swapped the speedometer / odomemeter so the mileage would be correct.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
kinda hard to roll a digital odometer forward, I wasn't sure if the cluster stored the mileage, or if that memory was stored elsewhere, I figured it would have been to prevent odometer fraud, hence why I asked

anyways I'm just saying there's an easy enough solution, just takes a little more work.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello guys,
There's some useful info in this thread.

Does anybody know if the "instrument cluster" is interchangeable from 01-02 to 03-05 models?
I would suspect they are, but I just want to make sure.
From looking at the pictures they look equal.

Thanks,
-Erasmo

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
73 Posts
If you want a factory tach from a 1st gen Rio, you will have to find a Rio RXV and get the entire instrument cluster.

In order to remove your cluster, you need to remove the the plastic piece that frames your stereo/clock/heater controls. It will just pull off by hand with enough force. If you use a pry tool, you will damage something.

I think there is a couple screws underneath that hold secure the black part of the dashboard, take those off and pull the entire piece out steadily, but gently. Again, don't use a pry tool or you will damage something. Once it is out of the clips, you will have to reach underneath disconnect the wiring clips from the hazard light button and rear window defroster button. Once the wiring is disconnected, gently ease the part of the dash out past the steering wheel and put it aside.

You will then see 4 screws holding in the instrument cluster. Unscrew them to remove the cluster, than unplug the two cables behind it.
At this point, you will need to swap your Odometer into the new instrument cluster to retain an accurate mileage reading. After swapping it, installation is the reverse of removal.

All Rio's have the wiring to support a factory tach, even if they don't come with a tach.

The cluster form a 2G rio should work with a 1G rio as well, but I haven't tried that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts