Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Kia Rio and one day it just shut off and have never cranked since.

I have also had problems with the engine light coming on and going off whenever it felt like it, as others on this sight have mentioned and the sensor that controls the fan went out.

I need to know if anyone has a do-it-yourself guide for replacing the timeing belt on this particular vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might want to look at more than the timing belt. My car just died one day. We tried new battery and numerous other things. The timing belt looked stripped so we replaced it, still nothing. We took the head off and the engine is shot. If you read a lot of other postings this is a common problem. KIA" SUCK

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your timing belt is the problem then yeah, you're looking at more than the belt replacement. The engine is toast.

Aces, in all fairness, kia is not the only manufacturer to build an interference engine... So I hope that this is not the only reason you say kias suck

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
Unless you are a mechanic, forget about doing it yourself, its too complicated for a backyard repair. Also, if its not running at all, your engine is probably fried and needs to be rebuilt before it will go anywhere.
bm

·
Registered
1 Posts
What Is Wrong With My Car??

My 2001 Kia Rio just shut off while driving on the freeway 2 days ago. the dealership says they dont have any idea what it is. They said its not the timeing belt. And that it would cost $600 to take apart the engine to see what the problem is. DOES ANYONE KNOW???

·
Registered
03 Rio RXV; 00 Sportage EX
171 Posts
we need some more info to your problem. will the engine crank over? did it lose power on the highway or did it just feel like someone shut the key off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts