Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am trying to help a friend with his 01 Kia Rio. He said he was driving and the car stalled. It started back up and when he got it home he decided to clean the battery terminals. After this the car wouldn't start. I determined the fuel pump wasn't working. I checked and there was no power at the pump itself. I checked and all the fuses where good and also the relays where good. The fuel pump relay is clicking. There is power at the terminal that would go to the fuel pump when the relay is activated. I am kinda stumped. It appears there is a break in the power somewhere between the relay and the pump. Is there a fuel cutoff switch perhaps? Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

update. I bypassed the relay and the fuel pump came on (pins 87+30). I checked for power on pins 85+88 (the pins that control the relay) I am getting under 1 volt. I double checked the injector fuse, ecu fuse, main fuse and main relay. They are all good.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
The fuel pump relay contacts are probably bad did it start when you jumpered it out and the fuel pump ran if so replace that relay. You said the fuel pump ran did you check the fuel system pressure is it OK (filter) or injectors Just some things to check. Reguard,s Ronjohn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked and it didn't start with the relay jumpered. I actually already tried to swap the relay since there is several that are the same. I don't have a pressure gauge. I think at this point I am tell my buddy to take it to the shop. Since the fuel pump seems to be good I don't think it will cost him too much. I will post the verdict when he gets it running. Thanks for the suggestions ronjohn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it fixed. Apparently my friend decided to play mechanic and move the ignition fuse to another spot. I spent at least 3 hrs trying to figure this thing out. That may be the last time I try to help this guy out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts