Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my kia rio down the interstate at about 70-75...I noticed it'd miss a few times...I smelled something burning and pulled in at a rest stop. When I pulled into the parking spot it died. I popped the hood and it was steaming from under the engine cover on the left side. I took the cover off and it looked like the cam gear i'm guessing had burnt through the plastic cover on the side. It turns over but won't start. Any specific ideas? Car has 80,000 + miles

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Timing belt?? You better get a new one on there and get it in time. Not sure if the 2001 is an interference engine but I think it is, and you could be in trouble... Timing belt maintenance is every 60K miles. Rios are famous for breaking them or slipping teeth. The fact you rubbed through the cover means your belt was loose enough to be flopping around against it, or coming off the gears(either one is bad), unless you simply have a loose/damaged cover falling off...
I suggest a close belt inspection before you roll her over any more.... and replacement if you haven't done any permanent damage. Kia suggests a new water pump while you are in there under the cover, and I wholeheartedly agree. If you're lucky, and do this maintenance, along with a tranny filter and radiator flush you might get another 40K miles out of her... Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I agree with kevster 100% give your timing system a good check before turning over that engine again. Hopefully you didn't have any engine damage the good thing is at least the engine turns over and is not siezed up. Yes it is an interferance engine all 01-05 engines are. Give it a good check. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts