Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Kia Rio and twice now it has done this. From what i've seen, it's usually shortly after it's started. Haven't seen it happen when it's been running a while.

Basically, I lose almost all power, the engine starts to run really rough like it's ready to stall and the engine light is on.

Today, it happened to me on my way to work. I think it was when going up an overpass each time too. Light comes on..engine goes bad...

I pull over for 5 minutes, start it and it runs fine....

Anyone seen this and/or know what's causing it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my 01 Rio it had a recall for stalling caused by the ECU, have you had this service done? If not call the dealership and check to see if you have a recall on your vehicle.

You may be losing your fuel pump, or your fuel filter may be clogged. Replace your fuel filter and see what happens. I would probably be leaning toward your fuel pump going out on you though.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same problem. Went to lunch engine light came on started running rough. Came back to work turned it off then back on again and it worked fine. I'm taking it to get a tune up first...then to the kia dealership...I don't want them to say i didn't follow policy...I'm a few thousand overdue...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happens with our car . Sometimes it acts exactly like the throttle cable is disconnected . At 70mph the engine will just quit and have to pull over and restart . Other times at hiway speeds it acts like it has quit running but it is actually at idle speed " automatic transmission " but going 70mph . Give it gas pedal to the floor and nothing . After restart and going to first stop after exiting the hiway the engine runs VERY rough , stalls and the engine light comes on

We have had the car in 3 times for this . It just had a 8 day stay at the Kia dealer where they ordered parts in attempt to repair it again but still the same problem .

Kia denies a problem with this and the 2002 Kia Cinco . Funny , this problem is all over the internet . Kia needs a computer I guess .

The car is dangerous to be on the road with and so far Kia has not been able to repair it and again , denies any stalling on hiway stalling problems .

·
Registered
21 Posts
This started to happen with my 02 at 80000 kms... Engine light would come on, run rough, sometimes die....

Should have taken it as a warning sign, the timing belt blew out at 87000 kms. Thank god for warranty, got a new head and a couple of new pistons out of it... Haven't seen the engine light on since.

What's the mileage on yours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by KiaMech@Nov 23 2005, 08:18 PM
What have they repaired and what engine codes were there?
Thanks for the reply .

First time they did the drivability campaign .

Second time in , cleared codes and re-installed above and did the fuel rail.

Last time said the exhaust manifold was cracked . I think it broke when they tried to remove the 02 sensor ... but anyway to finish

PO172 System too rich P0101 MAF R/P problem

They put a new exhaust manifold on it and new H02 , cleared DTC and test drove .

We bought the car new in 2002 and for the first time now it has fast idle when cold but place it in gear and it dies . 45 seconds after cold fire and no placing in gear can blip the throttle and it dies . Have to re-start . The longer it runs , the more apt it is to stall when at normal temp and it also has small idle hunt problem . Click A/C on then off and idle hunt goes away for a short period . Also when cold it will not shift out of first gear until way too high of an rpm . Must take off in drive then shift back the 2nd briefly before it shifts . This is always a one time thing when cold .

The car is maintained very well . It has 48k miles and trans has been serviced twice , air filters , plugs and proper oil changes with all reciepts .

·
Registered
1 Posts
information, engine idle hunt

First start of the day, the idle hunts 500 to 1000 sometimes to 1500. Put into reverse, idle hunts 700 to 1000 at a faster pulse (2 times per sec approx) drive to a stop light, the idle hunts 800-1000, does not die. after 30-45 min of driving and the rest of the day, no idle hunt, car runs great 2004 kia reo.
Kia dealer ship after 2 weeks of having the car found the wire harness engine to chassie (sp) to be loose. Secured and no more problems
Also prior to this, the fuse box shorted, (wire short) caused the engine to run rough to idle hunt to just plain quit. would restart but run rough again, engine light goes on and quits. fuse box replace, and wire short repaired.
actually 2 items. To help the Kia dealer, write down on a sheet, time start, what happens first start, second start, miles covered, what happens each time you stop or go. hot or cold day, rainy or dry. This helps the dealer to find a problem if the codes do not show a thing. In this case of idle hunt, no codes for 2 weeks of running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2001 Rio. My wife would drive home from work and it would happen shortly after leaving while going up the same hill, at the same spot each time. One day the car started running rough and she drove it home. Had the ignition coil replaced and it ran fine until a year later. Same thing. So she started going home a different way to avoid the hill and haven't had a prob yet. Now I drive it to work and no prob yet either and it has been about 6 months since the last time it ran rough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts