Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My check engine light came on last night (illuminated, not blinking) in my 2001 Kia Optima SE (V6), just got back from AutoZone where they gave me the following codes:

P1529 - transmission control module malfunction indicator lamp on request signal.

P0715 - Input shaft speed sensor ($103 part at AutoZone).

U2B00 - unknown, they didn't have any info on this. Google doesn't seem to reveal much, either, perhaps a network error, but didn't seem to find anything definitive.

The car seems to be having some shifting issues (automatic), like perhaps it's not getting into 4th? It seems like it should be shifting around 45 or 50 mph, wasn't driving freeway speeds, fastest was around 50 in a 45 zone. Engine doesn't seem to be making odd sounds or is behaving erratically other than the shifting issue.

Anyone have any best guess as to what's wrong and what you think this would cost to repair? Is the car safe to drive at city speeds? I've never used that manual shifting thing that's on the right side of the gear shift, would using that be a workaround for higher speeds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
it's possible that the other two codes will be resolved by replacing the speed sensor.From what I've read it seems like the sensor is easy enough to reach for a shade tree mechanic. Just call around; give your car info and ask for a quote. $120 for part and $90 for labor would be my wild guess.

The sensor is required for the car to know what gear it is in, so this is something you probably do not want to put off. If it is shifting hard or not at all you are putting a lot of wear on the engine or tranny.

·
Registered
Kia Magentis , Ford Sierra's ,
5 Posts
This happend to mine i replaced both input and output speed sensors and so far it seems cured .

I bought the sensors from ebay

SPEED SENSOR SET KIT INPUT OUTPUT OPTIMA SEDONA SANTE FE TUCSON OEM NEW !! | eBay

Quite easy to fit as both are located on top of the transmission under the air filter

pic with the top part removed

and a view of the sensors ( arrowed ) with the full air box removed

Took 30 minutes to do

·
Registered
2001 Optima SE 2.5 V6 w/248,000+ miles, Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200C
47 Posts
Buy the sensors from Rock Auto they were only around 40 bucks each for the sensors. once I ordered them I got them in 3 days. Installed them in 30 mins and EASY fix. But to rest the computer you need to drive the car slowly going through the gears then moderately then like you stole the damn car. this is what I did and my car works great.

PS I have 248,000 plus on my car and I put every mile of it on it except 75 thats what was on the odometer when I bought it New in 2000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts