Kia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 Kia Optima (Automatic) Transmission Problem...Ideas?

96K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  a_kountz 
#1 ·
I purchased a preowned 2001 Kia Optima last week. Of course, the next day, the (automatic) transmission starts acting up. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what's going on? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions!

Here's what its doing:
Everything seems fine the first 10-15 minutes of driving. Then, there's a slight jerk, it pops out of 4th gear and into 3rd. If switched over to the manual shifter at this time, it will go into 2nd, but not back to 4th or even down to 1st. It stays this way until I stop the car and restart it. Then the same thing happens again.
I should also mention that there are times that this doesn't happen. I drive along like nothing's wrong. It's kinda hit and miss.

Is this a sensor issue? Or something bigger? Again, any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa M.

#3 ·
transmission problems

Have the fluid professionally changed. And make sure you use synthetic tranny fluid or the KIA OEM fluid.

A shop can actually suck out all the fluid that remains in the torque converter.

Just pulling the drain plug will only cause some of the fluid to drain.

This will cost you about $135

#5 ·
Yep, my input sensor went first at about 61K miles, then the output went less than a year later. Both replaced and both fixed the same exact symptoms. Do it yourself, these sensors are right on top and easy to replace, don't pay the 2.5 hours the mech will charge when its a 15 minute job. I paid about $120 for each sensor from a KIA dealer.

#6 ·
Having the same problem and planning to have the tranny fluid flushed and the sensors replaced.

Do I replace both the input and output sensors? (as i've seen posted in outher threads)

If so, where are they located for an 01 Optima? I have someone that can do it, but needs to know where they are.

Also, I went to Kiaparts.com and noticed that they have "Vehicle Speed Sensors, automatic trans" for $60.15. Is this the part i'm looking for?
:confused:

#11 ·
Honestly if you want to do it yourself go to kia and buy the part because oem is always the best. it is really not hard to do.
Remove air box and look right on top of the tranny there will be i think only two sensor with 10mm bolts holding them in place those are the sensors you need un hook your battery to reset you trans control module and good luck let me know if i can help more

#16 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Kia Optima SE V6.

I called up my Kia dealership (Auburn Valley Mazda in Auburn, Washington; GREAT people) and here's what I learned:

The part numbers for the items are as follows, as well as prices quoted from the parts department:

4262039051 SENSOR - INPUT SPEED - $120.12

4262139052 SENSOR - OUTPUT SPEED - $120.12

Now from "Kia Parts" - Kia accessories below wholesale I was quoted $77.13 each.

I have yet to find out if this is a good fix, but I'm fairly confident it is.

Also, I purchased my vehicle 3/12/08 and didn't have a problem for 2 1/2 weeks. Found out that a preowned Kia has only a 50,000 mile 5 year warranty contrary to the 100,000 mile 10 year warranty they advertise.

Just thought that would help everyone!

#19 ·
OMG,

I bought this car thinking it will run for ever the same day I bought it it slammed from 4th to 3rd when I was on the hwy on the way home I called the dealership right after it did it they were closed. My luck... I wanted to take it back and get a different car.

Two days later I took it in they said it was the speed sensor I replaced it. It still does it they said it must be the wrong one and called kia, kia said the optimas sensors can only be bought through kia not auto zone I had to wait 2weeks to get one in. I did replaced it and the same thing is happening. I took it in to a transmission place they said I need to rebuild the trans.

After reading this form I'm seing 2 sensors a in & outputs on here is there 2 sensors that I should have been replacing? or 1? I just want to avoid doing the tran.'s if possible. single mom w/ 3 kids and funds are tight.

here are the results from the testing...
p0442 evap leak
p0720 output shaft speed sensor
p1529 manufactor controlled vehicle sensor speed idol control

condition of fluid in transmission speed sensor & tcm may not fix the promblem he says recommends a rebuild. I'm aware that the guy will say whatever to try to get as much money from me. So i'm asking for a honest oppion. He also told me that the only way to change this is to take out the trans. its a internal promblem not external.

Dreama
st louis, mo

#21 ·
I'm having a similar problem

I have an 03 Spectra w/ automatic transmission.

In the past I've had symptoms familiar to these, although when I had problems, all I had to do was stop and restart the car. Recently, I was on the freeway and my car seemed to shift into neutral. I could shift the stick but the gear wouldn't change. My engine sounded like there was some extra noise too. Could it be these sensors, could it be the timing belt, or does it sound more like my transmission has failed?

#22 ·
Just go this car recently. When in traffic and my foot is on brake pedal while gear is on D, I start hearing this sound as if someone is hiting the booth. But when I put it on Neutral, the sound stops. It progressed to really jerking in traffic, so I took it to the garage for repairs. Collected it a week ago and problem has started again

#24 ·
yeah i had this happen too, actually it was the speed control sensor in mine, it happened a few weeks ago, which then the place says you need a new raditor, yay another 700 bucks in the kia since janurary, and guess what on monday the frame failed from the recall and now its in the garage till friday, getting 6k dollars worth of work kia is paying for its about time

#25 ·
2001 Kia Optima Automatic Trans Shift Problems

I realize this is an old forum, but maybe we can get it started again. I am having the same problem...a hard shift and then it won't shift out of 3rd gear. I tried to look for the input/output speed sensors online with no luck.

Did replacing the sensors fix the problem for anyone? Also, any ideas where I can find the parts?

#26 ·
Sensor or Transmission??

I'm having the same jerking motion with 2001 kia optima 2.4L 4cyl. changed one "speed sensor" already but kia still loses pedal power, of course after a few herky jerky movements from the car. it loses its get-up and go. When at a stop sign after car has herky jerked, car doesn't want to go car slowly accelerates even if pedal is to the korean metal. If i turn car off then back on problem resolves itself till next time it herky jerks again can anyone help me make the right decision on wether to change other speed sensor or have transmission check. Also not sure if transmission pulse generators are the same thing as speed sensors. would appreciate any usefull knowledge on this apperantly frequent problem..:mad:

#27 ·
same as it ever was

trans fluid changed, both sensors changed(I/O), timing belt changed, camshaft sensor changed. Result lots of money spent and the trans issue is the same as everyone else runs for a while and shifts into 3rd stop and restart and you are good to go for a few more miles. Now a new issue after the camshaft sensor replacement the car runs for about 10-15 miles them quits till its sits for a while 30min or so then will do the same thing..Man if someone out there has an answer you would be an answer from god. I know the old get rid of it but I still owe on it as I bought it used and still owe on it and dont want more of a payment from trading it in..

#28 ·
my 02 kia optima v-6SE
is doing the same thing
goes from 4th to 3rd like being rearended

i had the sensors replaced around 650.00

then 2 weeks later check engine light on again
took it back and sensores out
had shop redo the sensors along with a few choice words and again check light on and shows sensor or and something like turbine speedsensor now
along with now im getting the flickering dashpanel lights along with headlights and overhead lights
when i apply brakes the entire light system goes very dim then returns to normal then flickering begins.

this is my last optima i buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.