Kia Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a similar problem

I have an 03 Spectra w/ automatic transmission.

In the past I've had symptoms familiar to these, although when I had problems, all I had to do was stop and restart the car. Recently, I was on the freeway and my car seemed to shift into neutral. I could shift the stick but the gear wouldn't change. My engine sounded like there was some extra noise too. Could it be these sensors, could it be the timing belt, or does it sound more like my transmission has failed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just go this car recently. When in traffic and my foot is on brake pedal while gear is on D, I start hearing this sound as if someone is hiting the booth. But when I put it on Neutral, the sound stops. It progressed to really jerking in traffic, so I took it to the garage for repairs. Collected it a week ago and problem has started again

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah i had this happen too, actually it was the speed control sensor in mine, it happened a few weeks ago, which then the place says you need a new raditor, yay another 700 bucks in the kia since janurary, and guess what on monday the frame failed from the recall and now its in the garage till friday, getting 6k dollars worth of work kia is paying for its about time

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Kia Optima Automatic Trans Shift Problems

I realize this is an old forum, but maybe we can get it started again. I am having the same problem...a hard shift and then it won't shift out of 3rd gear. I tried to look for the input/output speed sensors online with no luck.

Did replacing the sensors fix the problem for anyone? Also, any ideas where I can find the parts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sensor or Transmission??

I'm having the same jerking motion with 2001 kia optima 2.4L 4cyl. changed one "speed sensor" already but kia still loses pedal power, of course after a few herky jerky movements from the car. it loses its get-up and go. When at a stop sign after car has herky jerked, car doesn't want to go car slowly accelerates even if pedal is to the korean metal. If i turn car off then back on problem resolves itself till next time it herky jerks again can anyone help me make the right decision on wether to change other speed sensor or have transmission check. Also not sure if transmission pulse generators are the same thing as speed sensors. would appreciate any usefull knowledge on this apperantly frequent problem..:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
same as it ever was

trans fluid changed, both sensors changed(I/O), timing belt changed, camshaft sensor changed. Result lots of money spent and the trans issue is the same as everyone else runs for a while and shifts into 3rd stop and restart and you are good to go for a few more miles. Now a new issue after the camshaft sensor replacement the car runs for about 10-15 miles them quits till its sits for a while 30min or so then will do the same thing..Man if someone out there has an answer you would be an answer from god. I know the old get rid of it but I still owe on it as I bought it used and still owe on it and dont want more of a payment from trading it in..

·
Registered
24 Posts
my 02 kia optima v-6SE
is doing the same thing
goes from 4th to 3rd like being rearended

i had the sensors replaced around 650.00

then 2 weeks later check engine light on again
took it back and sensores out
had shop redo the sensors along with a few choice words and again check light on and shows sensor or and something like turbine speedsensor now
along with now im getting the flickering dashpanel lights along with headlights and overhead lights
when i apply brakes the entire light system goes very dim then returns to normal then flickering begins.

this is my last optima i buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my Magentis which is the Canadian version of the Optima. The transmission had 55,000 kms on it and had to be replaced under warranty. The new transmission does exactly the same thing. Kia would only allow the balance of the warranty on the new transmission and dragged their feet until the warranty was up. Each time I took the car in for transmission service under warranty they drained the oil out of the car and sent me on my way. I was stranded in a snow storm in a desolate area with my disabled spouse when the oil light came on after just such a Kia service visit. Fortunately a snow plow driver came by and put some oil in the car. Unfortunately the car still didn't run right and he kindly drove us home in his truck. Not fun when you are a senior and need a reliable car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
having problem with "D" drive

any one have idea,

my kia sefia 2001 had a problem of "D" drive gear No.1 i can't move with "D" i've to use gear No.2 moving then when reach 40km shift to D will picks-up low than 40km gear fail.
any idea will be much appreciated.

thanks Cooldin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Optima 2001 6-cyliner Speed Sensor, Engine Light Problem

I have also a 2001 KIA OPTIMA with 6 CYLINDER ENGINE.
Same problem exist, it shoots into third gear while driving.
I find the most answers are in this problem is to replace BOTH, the INPUT SPEED SENSOR, AND ALSO THE OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR.
An easy way I usually find many parts for my KIA, is on Ebay auctions.
There is a lot of competition there, so you have a good chance to get a nice price, even if it has to be shipped from Korea. Most KIA dealers will charge more than what you would pay on Ebay. Also, the wait for the parts would be shorter if purchased thru Ebay than even from regular auto parts stores, that have branches thru USA and Canada. The little wait is worth saving the money, instead paying higher to a auto parts dealer.
KIA MOTORS / HYUNDAI PART NUMBERS:
42620-38951 SENSOR ASSEMBLY-INPUT SPEED
42620-38952 SENSOR ASSEMBLY-OUTPUT SPEED

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission problem

I have a 2002 Kia Magentis (Optima) @ 166,000KM.

It jerked from changing gears and now stays in 2nd gear. Meaning pick up power is very low. Didn't try turning it OFF yet but looks like turning it OFF should reset the issue. Engine light came right when problem started.

Is changing INPUT/OUTPUT sensors something that can fix this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Working on a 2001 Optima with what I find to be multiple problems:
the pulsing lurch: when I noticed that it tends to do this much more at under .25 tank, filled.... problem gone. Am thinking that it is the fuel pump overheating (remains cool when submerged)

trans started having failsafe mode problem (stays in 3rd, can only downshift to 2nd) shortly after having trans fluid changed. Seems to have problem more as car warms up... I am thinking trans is trash. Getting trans input / output sensor error, TCU error.

Battery disconnected, going to try to "reprogram"

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi basically we have the same issue as angusdawg1 but with a kia carnival 2002 our trans is one that has an external filter, what we need to know is where the pulse generators and speed sensor is on the vehicle in great detail or even better diagrams.

We have had three seperate mechanics take our money and not have our car fixed.
Please will you help us with our on going dilemma.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, so i have a 2002 optima and when i have not driven it for a while and i do drive it the first 10-15 minutes when it shifts from 1st to 2nd as well as 2nd to 3rd gear it does not shift smoothly, sometimes to me it feels like it's running out of gas when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, like it doesn't shift right away. but after that 15 minutes or so it is fine. then if i park it for 2 hours or so it will do it again but only for the first or second time shifting into those gears. Would this too be something with the sensors?? HELP please!! Thanks

21 - 37 of 37 Posts