Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows and can describe where to find the automatic transmission fluid drain for the 2001 Rio 1.5L? Also if anyone has the factory service manual or happens to know: is there a filter, seal or other adjustment to be made to the transmission periodically?

Thanks!

-UB

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no plug,Just remove all the bolts in the pan and drop it,it will make a mess.Use a big drain pan so most goes in it.Get a filter kit ,advance has them.I think mine took 3-3.5 quarts of dexron 3.I used valvoline.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by dufrain@Aug 6 2005, 07:23 PM
There is no plug,Just remove all the bolts in the pan and drop it,it will make a mess.Use a big drain pan so most goes in it.Get a filter kit ,advance has them.I think mine took 3-3.5 quarts of dexron 3.I used valvoline.
:banana: Thanks dufrain! Now that I've actually gotten around to getting the parts and am preparing to do it I've encountered another problem.

The only way I can see to actually fill the transmission is through the trans fluid check tube. Unless of course I have figured out how to defy the laws of gravity... but then I wouldn't be driving a rio. Anyway, I looked in the manual and it has NOTHING about where the fill hole is or how to go about actually putting fluid in if it IS indeed low. It just says "add fluid if low" and gives all sorts of warnings about what might happen if the fluid is low. Nice huh? Anyone know where the A/T fluid fill hole is at on the 01 rio?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i used the dip stick tube as the fill hole. I had some trouble with the driver side bolts on the pan (because of my large hands, there is a large chassis bar going under that part of the pan) as well as simply removing the pan. The gasket didn't want to release. I don't know what the OEM gasket looks like but this one was red. I'm thinking it may have been RTV sealant? I don't know. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that anyone had drained it before so that must have been the original gasket.

Some things to make absolutely sure you have before you start:

1) the obvious, filter kit with o-ring and gasket a slim, long funnel, unless you want to take the batery out
2) wobble joints for your socket wrench and an extension (1/4" drives, the 3/8" wouldn't fit, the bolts on the pan were 10mm heads)
3) a hammer and a blunt object, like a socket driver (not a socket wrench) to knock the pan loose.
4) a slim, long funnel, unless you want to take the batery out or make a complete mess when you fill
5) you MAY want to remove the driver's side wheel. I used the wheel well to access the pan to FINALLY knock it off. However, it should be sufficient to simply turn the wheel entirely to the left, that's what I did since it was already off the ground when I realized that I wasn't going to get it off from underneath very easily.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks again dufrain!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts