Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new in this forum, I wish o share my problem on the above car and hopefully you have had similar problem and have solved them.

I am driving 2000 KIA Shuma GS 1.8 l since 2001. It was running well and I was happy with it. But stated early last year I got Aircon Problem. The A/C could suddenly was not cool anymore while the switch was still on. It was cause by the RH fan behind the radiator stopped completely and the of course it caused engine overheat.
The KAW (KIA Authorized Workshop) then replaced the thermal switch, and then took out its thermostat still problem. Finally they applied high pressure water jet over the radiator grill. The problem just stopped.

But from early this month another overheat problem happened again. This time the LH fan behind the radiator did not run. As the Aircon was still cool, so I did not realize it was happening until I saw a steam coming out from the engine hood. And the overheat was worse then the first problem.
The KAW checked and found nothing wrong according the mechanic there was a cable under the fuse box getting loose and they have fixed it.
This morning, the same problem happened again. I called Emergency Home Service and they check with their hand held computer analyzer and again found nothing wrong, just suggesting putting back the thermostat. And I planned to bring it to KAW again tomorrow.

Anybodies have had the similar problems?
Please share them here and what did you do to overcome that problems?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you saying that you are running the car without a thermostat?
If so, that is not good for the car at all, and the LH cooling fan will never come on due to the car not warming up. On the right hand side of the head, the cooland sensor is located right behind the thermostat housing, with the thermostat removed, coolant will never reach operating temperature there and the cooland may be boiling coming out the other side, causing your overheat issue. Maybe you just a faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, the thermostat was take out by KAW when I got problem with RH cooling fan.
As I am living in Indonesia where the outside temperature is always about 31 - 33 centigrade, so the under temperature just happened 30 - 45 minutes from the first time the engine was started up. After that normal working temperature was reached as shown in the temperature indicator dial.

Now I will replace the thermostat back again, flush the radiator and see what will happen.

Anyway thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

The KAW has put back the thermostat already, I have flushed the radiator and hopefully the overheat problems will stop from now on. (Sorry guys I am not so sure about this).

I remember my daughter has driven in KIA Sephia and she got the same problems.

May be KIA still has to improve their cars' cooling systems before their customer lost their confident on KIA brands.

I am thinking of adding by pass switches to start the colling fans, so whenever another overheat problems accur again due to the fans do not run, I can switch them on from the inside/driver seat.

Any recomendation about this idea???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts