Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc sonoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think it is drive shaft hitting rear cross member on excell , replaced lower body mount bushings need uppers, but think some think else might be broke or lose in rear , any suggestions or ideas wood be greatly help full, tired of making mec busy, thanks nelson, the other nelson, fla ftl laud:):)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i think it is drive shaft hitting rear cross member on excell , replaced lower body mount bushings need uppers, but think some think else might be broke or lose in rear , any suggestions or ideas wood be greatly help full, tired of making mec busy, thanks nelson, the other nelson, fla ftl laud:):)
Hi Nelson,

It could be slop in the drive-shaft (U-joints), you can check that yourself: with the vehicle safely parked/wheels blocked, slide under and try to turn the rear drive-shaft - if you have excessive play, it needs to be checked out further,

If no excessive play, recommend you have that mechanic give the suspension components, the rear frame, and both cross-members (#5, over the rear axle, #6, at the rear of frame) a complete safety inspection: failure of either either rear cross-member, while driving, is an extreme potential danger to the occupants, and the vehicle ..

Hope the repairs needed are minor..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Mother in laws Kia had a thump upon brakeing, but only when there was passengers in the car. I figured out the thumping was comming from the passengers slamming their feet on their imaginary brake peddles! True story.

My Sporty on the other hand had a thump (1) when accelerating from a stop. It was a stuck brake caliper releasing (violently). Rebuild took care of that.
How does your thumping coralate with rpms? Is it in sync with the rpms?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
1 Posts
Don't know if this of any help, had similar problem '02 Sportage 4x4, turned out the rear crossmember that supports the rear axle diff support arm had rusted through. This left the top of the diff support arm to swing back and forth, banging against the subframe.
in my case I felt that I wasn't up to repairing it (disabled), so I traded it towards a 2013 Rio LX+. Hope this isn't the problem but thought I would warn you. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts