Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the timing belt on a 2000 Kia Sportage 2.0. I put the intake cam on I and the exhaust cam on E, the crank mark was at 12:00. I also replaced the water pump. Put everthing back together, the car starts fine, but has no or very little power on take off and up hills. Runs ok on flat ground once it gets up to about 50 mph. Is there a way to set the timing up? Did I miss a step or something in putting the cams at the correct position? Help please.

Russell

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to replace the timing belt on a 2000 Kia Sportage 2.0. I put the intake cam on I and the exhaust cam on E, the crank mark was at 12:00. I also replaced the water pump. Put everything back together, the car starts fine, but has no or very little power on take off and up hills. Runs ok on flat ground once it gets up to about 50 mph. Is there a way to set the timing up? Did I miss a step or something in putting the cams at the correct position? Help please.

Russell
Verify that the crank mark on the shaft is inline with the woodruff key. All three at 12:00 AFTER the idler is fully tensioned. You'll find a couple indentations on the back timing belt cover plate to help. I also would verify the tension at the top of the belt loop. I recently had to fight my timing belt after a busted harmonic balancer flung around a fan belt and my timing belt jumped a few teeth. I found the idler loose and some of the slack was being "hidden" between the intake and exhaust cam sprockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts