Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
08 Kia Rondo LX V6, 2000 Sportage 4X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2000 Sportage back in Feb as a project from someone who gave up. Little did I know I would be tempted to do the same thing. This thing was a real teaser from day one. First day it fired at first but then showed WET plugs.
Dry them off try again nothing,crank but no start. Wet plugs again. Compression check shows 2 cylinder low and 2 at 0. Check timing belt shows
everything is proper at first glance. Removing valve cover reveals a problem,
exhaust cam not phased right. Remove cam sprockets shows intake dowel at
12 oclock but exhaust at 6. Then the head comes off showing bent valves on
2 cylinders on the exhaust side. Head is fixed and after it is installed compression is only 60-90 wet or dry. This time the whole engine is removed and the piston pulled. Result? Top ring stuck on all 4 piston and 2 ring stuck on
2 of those also. Once loosened and removed top ring was end gaped and showed .002 wear.but the second ring end gaped at over double the spec and the oil rings were at their max. But the bore and pistons checked OK and took a new set of standard rings. Put back together and in the truck compression is 60 in all four. ??? Timing marks all line up so whats up?
Put screw driver in plug hole and turned engine over and showed the piston halfway down when the pulley showed TDC .Removing crank sprocket showed no key in the crank and the pulley hard moved about 30 degrees. A new key and sprocket fixed that but then still no start. Prime with carb cleaner and it
would start and die. Fuel pressure was 40+ plugs dry. Injectors not firing.
Noid light shows no signal. Check wiring from ECM to injectors all good.
All harness connections clean and dry. Still no start. Pulled ECM and put in another Sportage fires right up in other car. Back home still no joy.
Then I notice Main and Fuel pump relays are not origional. I had pulled a couple of relay from a salvage yard. They had BOSCH on the top of them.
The ECM also is made by BOSCH. So plugged them in and Presto! It lives.
4+ months of grief over. This thing was a real can of worms. But the thing that was most frustrating was the injector problem. Wiring checks out and still nothing. The aftermarket relays were clicking when the key was turned.
So my guess is the BOSCH are different internally. No start condition I would look at your relays. If not BOSCH then bite the bullet and get some at the dealer. Sorry this is a bit long. Hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
08 Kia Rondo LX V6, 2000 Sportage 4X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all the grief I had with this car I thought wring about it may give someone else an idea of where to look. There was a thread on here about no injector pulse that no one answered. That was my final hiccup and was cured when a buddy gave me some old relays he had. Instant plug and drive. But would I have found the stuck rings without the lack of fuel. Maybe not. I just see a car that would have been under powered and possibly
smoking very bad also. In the end it all added up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts