Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Kia Sportage 4x4. The tempeture gauge flucuates wildly while I'm driving. When I drive around town the tempeture gauge will occasionally go pass the halfway mark but always drops down to slightly below halfway when idling (like at a light) but the instant I put it in gear (5 speed manual) and give it gas the gauge will climb again. Today I went on the highway and within 4 minutes the tempeture gauge was slightly over 3/4 way to the top so I pulled off the road. As soon as my speed dropped below 45 MPH the gauge went back to 1/2. As long as I stay under 45 MPH the guage stays in a reasonable range but when I reach highway speeds the tempeture increases drastically within seconds. I have replaced the thermostat with a factory model last weekend hoping that would fix the problem but no such luck so this morning I replaced the radiator fluid (because I'm not a mechanic & it was fairly cheap to do myself) and the spark plugs and wires (because I was due) but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions since Kia warranty shop tells me the problem I describe isn't "logical". Even though they can duplicate it they can't explain it or repair it and refuse to acknowledge it in writing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With any vehicle that doesn't have an electric fan there is a "fan clutch". This is connected between the fan blades and the water pump. The purpose of this "clutch": the clutch has a kind of thermostat in it that allows the engine to get up to operating temps before the fan spins at full speed. After 80k miles on my Kia the fan clutch had to be replaced. I had the same issues and they were gone after I replaced it. The fan and clutch come as an assembly from Kia and is somewhat expensive. Around $130.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts