Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling at 40 mph my Sportage engine quit,no coughing,sputtering or popping just shut down and coasted to a stop. After trouble shooting using my Sportage garage manual and many forum suggestions, I removed the timing belt. The timing belt has a three inch smooth spot and a one inch smooth spot. I have a Belt and water pump on order. I was wondering if this malfunction caused the engine to shut down? Wouldn't the belt keep moving, due to the speed of the engine and cam sprocket's? If the belt continued spinning then wouldn't the engine misfire and sputter? I could use some help from an experience KIA mechanic. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I have noticed that my "shut down" is not uncommon but many different fixes and confusing troubleshooting options make this Kia problem a real pain. Even KIA experts are divided on causes and repair of an engine shutdown. For example, some people and the shop manual say a cam position sensor or crankshaft sensor defect, would cause a shutdown, but many say this would only cause a misfiring engine. The troubleshooting guide also requires checking the fuel system. How could a fuel problem not cause at least a few engine sputters or pops? Is there any one who understands this computerized Kia Sportage?

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Working on my parents' car, a 13 years old Peugeot 206 (which is not sold in USA), when I disconnected the crankshaft sensor the engine shutted down immediately, without any noise or sputtering or whatever.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
Ok, stay calm. One thing at a time. It is pretty obvious that your timing belt is toast. I would also change the idler and tension pulleys, along with the water pump, when you are changing the timing belt because if one seized and then broke loose it could have cause the problem. Once you get it changed and get it running, then see if you have other issues. (I am assuming that when you discuss the smooth spots is that teeth are gone on the timing belt)
As far as not sputtering or anything, I wouldn't worry to much until you get everything put back together.:cool:
As far as what "experts" think, they are not troubleshooting your car specifically, and while I'm no expert, one thing I've learned is "one thing at a time" and I personally think that your timing belt is a pretty obvious place to start.
Keep us posted on your progress and keep it simple.:)

Oh, one more thing. Make sure the new water pump has the same number of teeth/cogs on its gear as the one you replace. SOHC water pumps have been known to be sold incorrectly as DOHC ones and the belt will only last about 500 miles then your belt goes.:mad:

UPYOURKIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts