Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4X4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2000 sportage that runs fine while driving. but when i come to a stop its runs rough and even dies once in a while. and the check engine light is not on. can anyone help?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
When your sporty dies, does it start right back up? Or does it have to sit and cool off before it restarts?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
The engine light may not be on, but there is almost certainly going to be a retrievable code as long as you don't drive many miles before having the codes read after the vehicles stalls.

There are many things to be suggested that may fix your sportage, but frankly you'd be blindly throwing money at parts and you'd be lucky if you nailed it on the first few tries.

I will admit that if I were miles from civilization suffering your sypmtoms I'm going to check for vacuum leaks, the main culprits (pcv valve/hose, intake duct), if nothing jumps out at me I'd use a carb cleaner swept around the intake manifold and vacuum hoses to see if the carb cleaner gets sucked in to the air supply (increase in RPM).

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4X4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wolf_7669 yes the sporty starts right back up after stalling without any problems. just runs really rough. DeeRock i live close to town so i can get it checked but will try to see if i have any vacuum leaks like you mentioned. thank you both and will see what i can find out.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Check non functioning IAC and leaking EGR....

A LIVE DATA SCANNER would be most useful..... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4X4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i checked the pcv and it was clogged up. so i replaced it and seems to work better. but every now and then the idle drops down at a stop but it doesnt try to die. i will check the iac and egr to see if that helps clearing the rest up. thanks for all the ideas i really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts