Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I have a 2000 Kia sportage w/ roughly 30000 miles on it and recently, it's had a hard time reaching 40 mph and going past it. I've done a search on this and several other forums and it sounds like it could be as easy as a tune-up or as costly as a catalytic converter. I'm going to the repair man tomorrow, but I was just wondering what you guys think. I'll post an update tomorrow.

edit: There are no check engine lights coming on and I'm not to familiar with cars so try to keep replies simple. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well, I took it the repair shop and they did say it was that converter, but that's where it gets weird and annoying. >_< 1st they said my car's emmissions are that of california standards. (But it was sold, paid for and used solely in NJ! :blink: ) and because of that and a slightly cracked muffler pipe, it would cost roughly $1,900. :crying: Something to do with having to change the whole system. So I said GTFO (not really but...) and called up kia. They said that it's not exaclty covered under the 5yr nor the 10 yr waranty but instead by a federal 8yr, 80,00 mile(?) warranty. So I'm bringing it into the dealship tomorrow morning for them to do their own diagnostic eval. on it and see from there. I hope it is covered b/c if it isn't I need to pay not oonly to get it fixed but also a $89.95 diagnostic fee. So in the end, I would like to ask...

a ) why, should and/or does my sportage have calif. emmisions?
B ) how much would it cost normally?
c ) (I prob. already know the answer to this one but...) Was I being ripped-off?

·
Registered
349 Posts
A. There is no difference between a "California" spec 2000 Sportage and the other 49 states. The emission specs and equipment are the same.

B. Replacing both cats as well as the entire exhaust is very expensive.

C. Probably...have the Kia Dealer take a shot at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem just recently i reside in canada and the guys at the muffler place replaced just the first cat and made second cat useless. they just placed a straight through pipe for the second cat. and that solved the acceleration issues just fine. total cost with labour was $405 canadian dollars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts