Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Sportage last week and already the check engine light is on. I was warned about the gas cap problem, but when I took it to Autozone they said it was DTC P0422, which he said was the main catalyst, below threshold bank 1. Whatever that means??? They told me it wasn't serious but I wondered if anyone here might be able to shed some light? I also have noticed the antifreeze smell mentioned on this site and I'm assuming that is the heater core?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, but Autozone is wrong. It is serious. DTC P0422 is main cat below threshold. In other words, the cat is bad. This is the cat right at the exhaust manifold, NOT the cat under the driver. And replacement is expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I just got off the phone with the Kia dealership and they said if it was the main cat it wouldn't pass state emmissions, however I'm not sure about that because I just had it inspected two days ago and it did pass??? They also told me that if it was the main cat it wouldn't be running very good and it seems to be running great??? So they told me to reset the system and to see if the light comes back on. If it does, they will take a look at it for me. You were right about it being expensive. They said if its the main cat i'm looking at over $1,000 to fix it. They said it could be the "fat cat" instead of the main cat and that would be about $250. I have no idea, I'm not that mechanically inclined so I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I think I'll be getting rid of the Kia before I pay $1,000 to fix a car that I only paid $3,000 for to begin with. I'm beginning to doubt myself for buying it now....Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'll be needing it again!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fast, You rock!!! I just looked it up on ebay and you can get the part (assuming it is what I need for $52) I knew the dealership would try to rob me but that is down right criminal to charge that much for the same part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts