Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spectra won't get over 3000-3500 RPMs...driving or in nuetral...when driving and you try to accelarate when revs are at 3000, it starts to miss and hesitate...it just won't go...any ideas????
Please help. Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
How many miles are on it? If it's got a fair number of miles on it, the usual culprits to inspect would be:

Plug wires
Plugs
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

...if it's relatively new, it could still be any of the above, but I'd be a lot more suspect of bad gas or gas with a lower than 87 octane rating. I didn't check to see where you are from, but if you're in the US, make sure you're not using the 85 octane crap available at some stations. Either way, go to another gas station (another chain) and buy some mid-grade (89) or premium grade (91+) fuel, and see if it helps. I'd reccomend putting it in on an empty tank to make sure the existing fuel has as little impact as possible.

Let us know how it goes.

Devin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried the higher octane fuel, changed the plugs, used some injector cleaner in a tank of fuel...still no improvement...is there any electronic item which allows the engine to rev over a certian RPM's? My next step will be a fuel filter but I don't think that is it...the first minute or so after it starts it will run almost normal...but after that back to no power and max of 3000 RPMs...anybody out there ever have this happen to them? Still...HELP...Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm with 1fastkia on the diagnosis. Change the plug wires, and if it's still a problem take your car into the dealer and have them check it out. The fact that it runs great for a couple minutes and then fails makes me think it's a heat induced problem - and coil/plug wires are a prime candidate to have that end result.

If it's that easy to replicate the problem, it should be fairly easy to diagnose with the right tools. Sometimes it's better to pay a dealer for an hour of labour to fix it rather than a full Saturday trying to figure it out on your own. :)

Devin

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
or if the check engine light is on go to autozone or advanced they have a obd2 scaner you can use for free to see waht trouble code is listed and fix accordingly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts