Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 sephia
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this past tuesday while i was sitting with the key on accessory for about an hour and a half,when i tried to start the car all it would do is crank.i pulled the fuse pump fuse and the injector fuse and they both were good,i swapped the fuel pump relay with the ac relay and the car started.the same thing happened yesterday after sitting for about an hour and a half,again with the key on accessory.i pulled the fuses again and also the relay and the car started.any ideas?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
How old is the battery? Almost ANY make car will show similar symptoms when there is power draw by having the key in accessory position for so long and an older battery. Battery not only requires volts but AMP'S power. That is why batteries are rated by CCA(Cold Cranking Amps) and CA(cranking Amps) and also why "being tested" means a battery load test done by most all places that sell batteries. It puts an amp load to the battery and determines how much amps(strength) is still available in the battery.
I would suggest that you have this done and then go from there in further diagnosis.

·
Registered
2000 sephia
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mia,i understand what you are saying,but how would the battery condition not allow it to start when the engine is zinging over like its supposed to.a little education on that would be appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
2000 sephia
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mia,educate me on how if the engine is zinging over like it should that i could be a battery issue.im confused on that.thanks

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
OK, I'll try.
When you engage the starter motor, the starter will use about 200 or so cranking amps from the battery. At the same time the fuel pump and computer systems will also be drawing amps from the battery. If available amps are not sufficient the fuel pump/computer systems tend not to work as most all power in the battery is being drawn by the starter.
NOTE: I did NOT say the battery was your problem. I only suggested it be tested to be sure of a good base point to proceed further.There have been many postings of battery troubles here lately, and although I know you are in a "warm" Southern State, batteries still tend to last on average 5 years.

·
Registered
2000 sephia
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool,i see what you're saying.ill have it checked out and get back with you in a couple of days.thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts