Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was headed to my nephew's house, and just driving down the road, my electrical system seemed to be running on only the battery. When I depressed the clutch, the charging system kicked back in, when the car dropped to an idle. It did this a few times, then stopped coming back (just ran on battery.) Any ideas what the problem is? I'm stumped, and the car still sits at my nephew's house.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
8 Posts
First thing I did when I experienced a similar problem was replace the cheap brass terminals with some heavyduty battery terminals and replace the brushes in my altenator. The brushes were tricky because they couldn't be removed without buying a regulator...Go figure a way to spend more money..So I hacksawed the housing on the opposite side of the brushes and they popped right out...Cheap fix less than 40 bucks...Any good starter/alternator shop can do this very method I mentioned.... By the way... Replacing the negative terminal on my 2000 required a cable extension...The positve terminal went on with no prob...The better the connection the better the charge...Better brushes even better charge...If this doesn't work...Probably the regulator...Check the output voltage..start car..Unhook positive terminal then read the voltage from the positive terminal (not the battery) to any chassis ground..

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
the terminals arent brass... and a alt at the bone yard is 40 or less why go hacking it just get a new one.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts