Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing through the forum and trying to find a topic related to mine, but was unsuccessful so here we go.
I have been having issues with my Sephia's air-conditioner for the past two years now. It blows cold, but not very hard at all. I put freon into the beast last year and that made it blow a bit cooler, but it still does not blow very hard. Nor does it cool the interior in this bloody 100+ degree heat. It is verging upon unbearable.
The heater works remarkably well in the winter; to the point that I have to turn the roll the windows down and turn the heater off because it becomes sweltering. I think that there may be an issue with the compressor or blower, maybe even a blockage somewhere in the system.
Would any of you have a clue as to what the issue could be or maybe even an estimates cost for replacements/solutions? I am getting desperate for a solution because I am tired of arriving at work and needing a shower.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
It seems that Sephias and Spectras (below 2006) have a lousy blower motor. My 06 Spec moves air "OK" on MAX AC and the highest speed but on any other AC setting It also does not move the air very well. My wife's 07 Spec has a different "system" and it blows just fine. The blower motor high speed depends on the maximum voltage available in the car (13.4v) and the motor coils would have to be rewound to increase it's speed (really not an option). I have thought about getting a blower motor off of a junk 07~09 Spec and see if it would fit my 06. It may have a different mounting and a larger or smaller impeller (squirrel cage).
The blower at high speed runs straight off the 13.4v.... as you turn down the speed resistors are added to drop the voltage (and the speed)..
If it ran OK before then you may have some type of blockage to air flow or the brushes in the motor may be worn out.
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts