Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster.

I thought I'd describe my experience with a 2000 Sportage 4WD 5-speed 2-door convertible that I recently "inherited" caring for when my 19 year-old niece came to live with me and my wife. This is my first experience with Kias, although I've been around cars since the mid/late '70s. Anyway, this Sportage was obtained from another family member with incredibly low miles for this year (48K), but apparently has never run well over the past few months since my niece started driving it. The Sportage had poor idle quality with terrible gas mileage and the check engine light on. Review of the OBD-2 codes indicated the P0301 code consistent with #1 cylinder misfire and the #1 spark plug showed evidence of an extremely rich condition. From extensive searching on this website, I learned that coil problems are a common issue on the 1st gen Sportage 2.0L, and although it didn't quite make sense to me that a bad 1/4 coil would only misfire on cylinder #1, I replaced the rear coil and coil harness after new plugs and plug wires didn't make any difference. The new coil also didn't solve the problem. What put me on the right track was checking vacuum at idle, which was unsteady at 15-16" and prompted me to check for a vacuum leak. In looking over the vacuum lines, I pulled off the lower hose for the fuel pressure regulator at the port to the lower intake manifold and found it full of fuel. The diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator had failed, allowing raw fuel to be sucked into the #1 intake runner, causing the extreme rich condition and misfire along with the vacuum leak. After replacing the fuel pressure regulator, the 2.0L now purrs like a kitten and idles smoothly at 800 rpm.

Just thought I would pass this along to anyone else hunting down an elusive P0301 misfire and maybe help avoid throwing unnecessary parts and $$$ at the problem. Thanks for providing a great resource. Whatever I know about Kias I learned on this website. :cool:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Greetings,

That's good info, and will help out others (including myself) here - Thanks for posting it.

Congrats on your repair,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts