Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my oil pan gasket oil change and such done about 2-3 months ago and there is no oil in my car what could it be?also if i sit to long my thermostat goes up to hot but not all the way i had it recharged and they said it was too much in there could my thermostat be broke?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Re: cooling system, there is NO such thing as TOO MUCH coolant, it must operate with little or no air in the circuit....

Re: oil loss, either you are burning it (smoke), or leaking.... Philip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it might just be burning cuz its been supper hot were i live but i will put more oil in it and see if that does is my mechanic said it was too much coolant idk but i only put a quart n some change i had left over in.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Really?
No such thing as too much coolant?

When my radiator blew, the tow truck driver said that the possibility of too much coolant, could have caused the blow-out.

Since, the coolant expands when hot, so when there is TOO much, not enough can escape through the safety hose out of the reservoir, which caused the blow-out, just not enough surface area for the coolant to spread?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
And, now we take the advice of tow truck drivers as gospel.. If they knew better dont you think they would be employed in a different capacity...

Rule of science, air will expand more (volume) than a liquid when heated..
Rule of science, a liquid under pressure will reach boiling point at a higher temperature.
The radiator is protected by a safety device known as a RAD cap (12psi), expelled fluid is collected in the recovery tank for replenishment into the RAD when the system cools (causing a vacuum)...
Philip

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
I never took his advice, haha.
Being new to working on cars, it was something I just took in as true- perhaps it was some trapped air that forced the radiator to blow?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You really need to find out (where) the oil is going, it's either being leaked externally or being burned (consumed) internally,

Doing a thorough check of the top and bottom end of the motor should help you spot any obvious leaks,

Checking underneath the coil pack cover / at the spark plug wells for any oil present would also help determine if the (inside) valve cover gasket is leaking into the spark plug wells,

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my valve cover done less than a year ago and the oil pan gasket but i noticed my car leaked a tiny bit of oil when i put some in there toward the front of the car underneath could it be too much oil or valve cover not done right? imma be mad if it is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts