Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here, and need some help.

I purchased a 2000 Kia Sportage, it had an obvious valve cover leak. I bought a gasket and had it changed. While under there noted the plugs were there so replaced them as well. Noted there was oil in the plug furthest back. Cleaned it out, etc. All ran good for a few days.

Started noticing oil leaking under the car. Traced it back again to the valve cover gasket. Bought another gasket and had it changed again. The gasket we used this time looked to be a better gasket than the original so we presumed the first gasket was just a crappy one. Again found the oil in the back plugs etc.

The car ran well for a few weeks than starting showing signs of low power. I checked the coil pack and found one to be cracked. While in there though it seemed as if oil was still leaking into the back plug.

The car now is showing signs of low power, won't go uphill well, and things like that. I am about to pull it apart again, and change the gasket, as well as the coil packs and the plugs. However, this time I would like to be sure it seals correctly. So I am wondering if anyone else has had these issues? Do I need to buy some of the tubed stuff and make the gasket rather than buy another? Should i buy a gasket and silicone around it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

A final question, there is no other place the oil can wind up in the plug from other than the gasket leaking is there?

Really just at my wits end and would like to fix it once and for all. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome - This is a common problem , before you install the gasket put a dab of silicone sealant in the corners around the cam humps . The v/c gaskets do not seal very good there.
K G I S is a good site for kia repairs ,its free but only use with internet explore. If you read through it it shows were to put the sealant .
Another problem is the short wire harness that leads from the coil packs to the main wire harness. The plastic clips get very bridal an brake resulting in a poor connection.
the site also shows you how to check out you coil packs before you replace them.

chief

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Although a common problem (gaskets), oil leaks can be induced by high crankcase pressure, check/replace the PCV..... Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome - This is a common problem , before you install the gasket put a dab of silicone sealant in the corners around the cam humps . The v/c gaskets do not seal very good there.
K G I S is a good site for kia repairs ,its free but only use with internet explore. If you read through it it shows were to put the sealant .
Another problem is the short wire harness that leads from the coil packs to the main wire harness. The plastic clips get very bridal an brake resulting in a poor connection.
the site also shows you how to check out you coil packs before you replace them.

chief
Thanks for all the information. I found the KGIS site but didn't see anywhere on how to test the coil packs.

Just a final question, I see where they say to add some silicone, etc., I am just wondering is there any reason not to just silicone the whole seal rather than just the corners? I just want to be sure I don't have to do this seal again. Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I found the KGIS site but didn't see anywhere on how to test the coil packs.

Just a final question, I see where they say to add some silicone, etc., I am just wondering is there any reason not to just silicone the whole seal rather than just the corners? I just want to be sure I don't have to do this seal again. Thanks again in advance.
If the gasket is loose in the channel, consider thoroughly cleaning the gasket channel in the valve cover w/ carb cleaner and "Q-tips" to remove all traces of oil / dirt, lay a thin bead of RTV ultra-grey/black in the valve cover gasket channel, spread evenly to a thin layer, then install the valve cover gasket: the RTV in the upper gasket channel should seal any gaps/leaks..

Make sure -all- of the old gasket is out of the channel before putting in the bead of RTV sealer - use non-marring plastic tools to remove the old material, not metal.. Wipe the gasket mating surfaces on the head with some rags soaked with carb cleaner to remove any oil from the head and let dry before install.

All surfaces should be dry and oil-free before starting assembly.. Plan on spending an hour or more getting everything clean, and oil-free.

After installing the valve cover, install all bolts to loose, then working from the inner bolts -> outward towards the edges, tighten to firm hand-tight, let sit for 20-30 minutes to let the RTV setup a bit, then repeat the sequence to final torque.

Using a 1/4" ratchet drive with extension is recommended, so you don't over-tighten when doing the 2-step torque sequence..

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Select year
" engine
shop
ing. system
ing. coil
repair procedures

chief

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
Hmmm... How hard is this to do? Oil leaking from my 01 Sportage 4x4 as well. Darn I hate oil leaks lol

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
I don't like to use sealant on valve cover gaskets, However..I have many times put it All over both sides and it always sealed the best and never leaked again. The problem is , the gasket will need replacing the next time you remove it.

·
Registered
10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Sport, 05 Volvo XC90 2.5T, 01 Kia Sportage 4x4 Convertible
30 Posts
I don't like to use sealant on valve cover gaskets, However..I have many times put it All over both sides and it always sealed the best and never leaked again. The problem is , the gasket will need replacing the next time you remove it.
I might have to tackle this valve cover gasket replacement. Hopefully its not too complicated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts