Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought this kia sportage ex replaced a tire, replaced the battery, and had to get an oil change.
Now the thing does not start. it has approximately 154,000 miles on it.
When my wife tries to start it all I hear is asingle click from under the hood and I had to listen closely to hear it. It sounds like its coming from somewhere under the battery or washer fluid.
It sound slike the starter went out, but none of ht eusual hard to start issues before the starter goes out. I looked online and found that replacing the starter is a days work(for a non mechanic such as myself) and was hoping anyone might have any additional ideas that could cause the starter to click like its gone out. Any advice is of course appreciated. It just seems weird because we drove it from one house to another 6 blocks away and it started fine there. then we tried to star it to head back to that house and nothing but aclick.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
Check the battery terminals for good connection (clean and tight), then check the grounds... Philip

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
You stated you change the battery, have you checked the cables for looseness?
Check the battery for a full charge jump start if needed also check the alternator for output ?
Check the motor oil level, may have been drained and not refilled causing the engine to seize.
Try hitting the starter motor with a hammer ( kind of hard ) an then try to start it.
It is located on the passenger side. The battery blocks a good view of it.
A hole day is a stretch even for a novice.
A few things that won't cost you anything but worth a try.
Is it standard or automatic?

Chief

1 - 4 of 4 Posts