Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kia Sportage 4X4 overheated bad, and now it will not start. I filled the radiator and reset the computer - no effect. Same dead whiny noise of the starter. The radiator is not cracked. I have no idea what's wrong.

This little SUV has had one problem after another while I owned it. I got it with an engine oil leak that I never did determine the source of - so I just kept putting oil in it as it wasn't particularly bad. Also, I found it would overheat a little whenever the engine was actually working (that is, climbing a hill or accelerating).

The previous owner disconnected the radiator fan and attached it the battery, and also made a different fan shroud to try to counteract the overheating problem. It was never too bad so I didn't worry about it.

Well, an emergency came up and I had to drive it pretty hard. My dog just about died and I had to run him to the E-Vet about 60 miles away, up and down hills, and over a freeway. This killed the Kia.

I don't think this engine is worth saving. What I want to know is if it would be possible to say, swap a Rebuilt Toyota 22RE into the Sportage? Or would it be possible to swap a Honda B18B1 FWD engine into it - as I have a spare from a 1997 Integra. I've never looked into doing anything like this and I need some help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you are biting off way more than you can chew with and engine swap from a Toyota or Honda to a Kia. Tranny's most likely won't match up, or engine mounts, probably a lot of fabrication involved. Rebuilding what you have is not that difficult, with the online manual and some of the guys on this forum you can get through it if you're somewhat handy with a wrench.

First thing find out what's really wrong with the engine.

BTW the "radiator fan" the previous owner disconnected, is actually the fan for the condenser part of the A/C system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A Mazda B2200 motor is supposed to bolt right in( 1G kia sportage share a lot of parts with Mazdas) as for motor work, I'd start with pulling the head and getting it milled( if it is saveable) as for the overheating issue, I would check the two hoses for the oil cooler. One was bad on my 2000 sporty and was hard to find the leak. Also check the upper radiator hose!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts