Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, found this site thru google, desperatly need help. Bought daugther 2000 kia sportage, having ongoing problems. First let me pass this on as a tip, if your master cyl, is going low on fluid find the problem quick, hers did and she continued to add brake fluid, master cyl was bad fluid was bing sucked up by vac assist and sent thru ehust system, melted down both cats, and sensors very costly.
New problem, CEL comes on runs ok, CEL starts blinking engine loads up, misses and lose power than it recovers and runs well again. Have changed coils, and MAS air sensor, anyone ever experience this problem.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
Go to your local Autozone and get the code read out. Come back here and post what the error codes are and i'm sure people will be able to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to autozone, they read the codes for me they are:

P0420
P0421
P0422
Has anyone seen theses codes?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
P0420 and P0421 are invalid codes for the Sportage. Don't know why the scan tool pulled those codes.

P0422 is defined as "main cat below efficiency".

When the cats got damaged are you sure BOTH were replaced? This troublecode will originate from the rear O2 sensor measuring the efficiency of the cat that is bolted to the exhaust manifold. If this cat is clogged or melted down you will throw this code. And from the symptoms you describe you do indeed have some sort of clog in the exhaust system. I would suggest going back and carefully checking the entire exhaust system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both cats and 02 sensors were replaced. also both coil packs, since then engine miss has stopped, that code is gone, new code PO422 had the CEL on, but car is running OK now and CEL went off by itself, Only thing I did was left the coil and plug valley cover off. I'm sure it will be on again soon, I'll pick it up from there I guess. Any ideas on this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts