Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Luke, and I am working on my moms Kia up here in the pacific NW.
Ok, so this will be my first post so bear with me here.

I have done sevral things on this car, timing belt, water pump, rear pads/rotors/slave cylinders.

Now im on to the front brakes and the passenger CV axle.

The cv is giving me hell, I can not seem to get the splined stub axle out of the hub. Ive soaked it for days, heated it up, froze it, used a puller, used a sledge hammer...No go, I have slammed it back to gether and I have decided to just take it to a shop and have that done. But that wont be until later this week, so opinions or advice is welcomed.

The task at hand: Installing the front brake pads.

Two sets of pads that I have bought at two different auto parts stores have not worked out to say the least.

First I purchased these at my local O' Reillys. They did not work, the bottom of the pad itself rubbed against the flange on the rotor, but the pads did fit in the caliper. So I took them back and ordered the other set (They said that was a mid year change) Those were way wrong, would not work, Different slide points. Took those back.

Here is the first set I ordered : BrakeBest D925 - Brake Pads | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I went to my local car quest and ordered another set. They do that same thing as the first set I ordered, just not as bad. They fit in the caliper but rub on the rotor.

I noticed on the old pads the bottom of the brake pad is curved to allow space for the flange on the rotor, these ones are not. And that is clearly the proble. But You'd think after multipul orders someone would be able to get it right. I even brought in the old pad and showed the comparison, The dude at the parts store insisted that it was the right part for the car.

Has anyone delt with this problem? These are suppose to be OEM replacements, but they are not right.

Sorry for the long post, I just need some insight, Or info on the differences in pads.

-Luke

·
Registered
226 Posts
There was a change. I think it was a recall or TSB regarding braking performance. The front rotors and pads were redesigned. I remember some of the aftermarket stuff was right, some wasn't. You may be able to find a dealer that has pads laying around but I think those old parts were discontinued long ago.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,078 Posts
2000 is after the change that occured in mid 99 last I remember. Have you tried OEM? There isn't all that much of a difference in price. Check with cobra on this site he has some good prices on OEM Kia parts and works at a Kia dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,957 Posts
Check out RockAuto.com
They show BOTH the Sephia and the Spectra for 2000. Your Spectra may use the old Sephia front brake parts. They show a design change dated 07/15/2000 for pads.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts