Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has a new fuel pump a new fuel filter but still is hard to start. I noticed that if i leave the ignition switch on for about 30 seconds it will start 4 out of 5 times. Also noticed that the IAC vale makes a humming noise, is this normal? My next step is to change that valve. Can any one out there help?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has the fuel pressure regulator been checked?

·
Registered
107 Posts
the buzzing happens to me every rare once in a while, ignore it for now. Try the following:

injector and valve cleaner with cheveron techron and use carb cleaner for your intake manifold (replace plugs after that, they will foul).

replace wires, coil packs and plugs.

replace/clean bettery cables and terminals. Make sure grounds are not rusted.

replace air filter

check vacuum lines

check belts

let us know if anything worked, if those don't work then try a grounding kit (helps with starting, idling and throttle responce. alot)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been living with the exact same problem for nearly two years now. It happened after my wife sprayed the engine compartment with water to clean it. I don't even shut the car off anymore to get gas 'cause it's hard to get started again. I always wait for the IAC buzzing sound to, but I have to say it only works sometimes. Last night I mounted a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail and timing light on the #1 spark plug wire. After reapeated hard start attempts I concluded. It is getting adequate pressure. Spark looks a bit intermittent, it's hard to say. Sometimes after reapeated attempts to get it started, the engine missfires alot for 5-10 seconds then idles ok. It's a mystery to me what the problem is. I'll tinker with it more this weekend. I'll keep you posted with my findings.

P.S.
Other problems w/ my '98 kia sephia
-check engine light is on sometimes
-o/d light is on sometimes and tranny is working fine
-o/d light is on and tranny won't shift into o/d sometimes
-Twice the car shut off on me in traffic. Weird thing is when I tried to start it again, everything was dead. No dashlights, no nothing. As if the battery was disconnected. Then after turning the key a few times it starts up like nothing ever happened. Go figure?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Now that your CEL is on have the codes read at autozone and see what it says. Same with the OD light being on, these computers have detected a problem, unless you attend to them you will have issues. It might still be unrelated, but that's where I would start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have checked my IACV, the one that makes the buzzing sound, and I think it's good. My Kia manual says it should have 15-18 ohms and I measured 18.2. I also bought a DTC reader and it said there is an error with my transmission oil temp sensor and I have an EVAP leak. I think these DTC codes explain my odd shifting and hard starts. By the way I did read about someone having difficulty starting their Kia after adding gas. The EVAP system is a part of that, and I think they are having a problem with it to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's fixed!!! The air gap for the crankcase position sensor was out of spec. The manual specs out 0.037 to 0.067. Once I corrected it, I no longer had hard starts. E-mail me for more info....

Y

·
0 Posts
Can you please tel me how you fixed this problem? I have a similiar problem with my 2000 Kia Sephia 5 speed. I do not have that much of a starting problem even though I can feel that it is coming, I have no power in the car when I give full gas. It chugs when the throttle is more than half way. It seems like an air-fuel not mixing correctly problem.

Thanks in advance.
Yellowf3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts