Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Kia Sephia which is failing smog because of the Check Engine Light being on. The guy running the smog ran the test anyway to try and help us find the problems. We came up with the codes:

P0422: Main catalyst efficiency below threshold - bank 1
P0455: Evaporative Control system - large leak detected

After some research I found that it could be one of three things: Cracked/Split hoses, loose gas cap, or a bad catalytic converter. I am in NO WAY a mechanic but can find my way around under a hood for the most part. I looked around at the hoses and found that the air intake tube had a pretty good size split in it. I went and bought a new one, replaced it, and the check engine light went away...for all about two minutes. What else can I do before going after the catalytic converter which is looking like a WHOLE lot of money? :(
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,858 Posts
Usually the Small Box under that Hose, Develops Cracks that hides on its corners, and only during acceleration they move enough to let unmetered air to go to the intake, bypassing the MAF; so I Kindly suggest you to check that Box too and replace if necessary.

Also changing SparkPlugs and a can of injector cleaner fluid on Gasoline could help you; after all that, remove the Battery Cables for a while in order to Reset the Codes, maybe the Check Engine Light goes away.

Good Luck!
Kind Regards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts