Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everybody? One of my work buddies (who recently purchased a new car) found out today that he needs to get rid of his 2000 Kia Sephia because he's not allowed to have 2 cars where he lives. Otherwise it's going to be towed. He says the engine has bad seals and is pretty much shot and he's probably just going to junk it for like 200 bucks. I instantly had a brainstorm that maybe this car would be a perfect candidate to become an electric vehicle.

At this point I might as well confess that I have a serious problem. I'm pretty sure I have extreme OCD or something because one of the things I'm just absolutely mad about is the whole electric car revolution going on right now. That being said, if I have $72,000 laying around I would just buy a Tesla Model S since I seriously think it's the greatest thing to happen to mankind since the PB and J sandwich.

So here's my query for anyone out there who would like to express an opinion. Should I offer him 200 bucks for the car and take on this project head on? I'm 28 yrs old with a bachelors degree in Industrial Technology and a minor in business. I'm employed as Assistant Engineer at a cosmeceutical production plant here in Illinois and I have fairly decent mechanical background. I love taking things apart and learning how things work. If anyone has already done this project or has any knowledge on the extent of it I would love to hear your entire story please. Thanks

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
If you know and understand the scope of the project to be done, why not do it?

At worst you keep everything you pull out and junk the car for 200-300 bucks when you fail. If you dont fail, well then you have what ya wanted :)

The only thing I can see as a drawback is it taking up a large amount of space for probably quite a while.

·
Registered
1999 Sephia
3 Posts
I looked into this a while back too.

#1: Check out the Model X with the falcon wing doors. Holy shitballs that thing is cool.

#2: Start by deciding your budget. The biggest expense by far will be the batteries, and there's a lot to learn about electrical physics before you even decide what batteries you need. Good luck though and let us know if you plunge in.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The biggest expense by far will be the batteries
Not necessarily dude, I built an electric Chevrolet Sprint a couple of years ago using nearly all used parts, including batteries. The total cost for 10-gel cell batteries was $100.

To the original poster, I'm not sure if you're still interested in doing this or not, but if so, don't get discouraged by costs. There are tons of ways to save money on a conversion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts