Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 200 Kia Sephia and it only has a little over 55,000 miles on it. Recenlty the car atrted chugging and the ck engine light came on. I had it scanned and it said cylinder 3 misfire. Ok well I bought new spark plugs and had those put it. Ran fine for a day and then started chugging again and the ck engine light came back again. This time is was a random multiple misfires going on. Took it back again to the place I had the spark plugs installed and they found the fuel pressure regulator was leaking. So I had to get a new one of those. Got that had that installed and ran fine for a day again. Brought it back again and they didn't have a clue. They thought one of the spark plug wires was bad but they weren't positive since it checked out ok. So the next day I brought it back to the dealership since I called and chewed them out about the car and they checked it out for me for nothing. They said I was given the wrong spark plugs and that was my problem. So they put in the factory kind for the car and did a whole tune up. Again said it was running fine and the chugging stopped. Drove it home and the chugging started again. So I called and told them and brought it back the 2nd time. This time they found 2 engine coils were damagaged and a spark plug wire was bad. Again they said runs great no chugging. Once again I drove it home and the chugging began again. He was just dumbfounded when I told him that. so I had to bring it back the 3rd time. This time they think it has something to do with the gas like I got bad gas. Well they claim they drained the tank but couldn't get all the fuel out so they just put it all back in. Told me it didn't chug for them and to run the tank to almost empty and then fill it up with premium gas and a bottle of heet. Well like every other time I drove it home and it started chugging again but this time the ck engine light came back on again. I calle once again and they are just so frustrated with my car at Kia they don't know what else it could be. Does anybody have any clue what could be causing the chugging? Any help would be greatly appreciated. They say everything in the engine checks out fine and I don't want to take it to another place since Kia is not charging me each time I bring it in. HELP Please!!!!

·
Registered
1995 Kia Sephia
62 Posts
hope you will solve problem about chugging, toood bad, but dont worry everything will be fine,

how you think it is not factory Fault?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the plugs,wires and the coils all replaced and it is still chugging. These guys at the dealership who sell the Kia's can't figure it out. They think it is all leading back to the gas. They say they had a guy there from Kia and have been on the phone with Kia tech help and nobody can figure it out. It is getting frustrating and extremly stressfull. I have had the car 5 yrs so now after all this time it starts doing this crap. Who knows if it is a factory fault or not. I just want it fixed and it to stop chugging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same symptoms. If the engine light came on, it means the computer detected a problem, and a scan will tell you where the problem is. In my case it said there was a problem with the air flow sensor. I pulled off the connectors to the TPS and air flow sensor, then plugged them back in and wiggled them around. That cured it, but I think it is temporary. Theres probably corrosion that forms on the connectors and it will likely come back in a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have taken the car back in for the 4th time now since this has all been happening. This time they found a mouse nest by the fuel tank by the fuel sensors. They cleaned that up and when I picked it up to go home I got on the hwy and the car started jerking again worse than when I brought it in there and the ck engine light came back on again. I had it scanned and the same thing again. All 4 cylinders are misfiring and a random misfire also. There was a new code that popped up and that had to do with the mass air flow intake. So these guys are stumped at the dealership and I am getting pretty pissed off dealing with this. I go down the road and all it does is jerk. They drained the gas tank and put new gas in it. So obviously it has nothing to do with the so called bad gas they were thinking. They checked the wires and they were fine from what they could see. I think it is just crap that they can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it after I have spent over $400 for them to supposedly fix the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar problem I ended up tracing to carbon deposits inside my spark plug wires/coil boot for cylinder #2. Cleaning out the boot with 409 and applying dielectric lube did the trick for me. You can try this; it will cost you around $5 for the lube. Other than that, I would suspect the air intake temp sensor, or perhaps an O2 sensor working intermittently; there are two on a Kia Sephia. Have you had the fuel filter changed? How about the fuel pump?

Good luck

John

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
4 Posts
i had a problem simalar to this but mine was on a different car...it was on my integra.... my vaccum hose that connects to the Inatke Manifold had slipped off and all of a sudden the car started to jerk...even when i stopped and put it in nuetral it kept jerking....it scarded the you know what out of me...i popped the hood and took a look at the cam gears, timing belt, trottle body, throttle cable, FPR, and everything else except for the vaccum hoses....when i found that it was as simple as connecting it and and putting a clamp on it i wanted to beat what little sence i had out of me.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok i'm have the exact same problem with my 2000 kia and it has 56000 miles on it...do i smell a recall? well if by any chance you figure out whats wrong i would love to hear its getting so bad that i cant even drive the thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I doubted the gas as soon as it was mentioned... Do this: Start the car at night, parked in a dark place. When it begins to act up, open the hood and look for blue sparks. I found sparks on my brother's Sunbird Turbo where two plug wires rubbed up against the turbo pressure tube running to the intake. Road speeds caused them to push against the tube, and idle was difficult to catch the problem.
OBD II or other engine management system should catch any sensor fault, so this sounds like a simple case of 'gremlins'. I am sure you will kick yourself when you find the problem. Luke, trust your feelings, not the mechanics... You will find the problem on your own... Use the force!
:)
Though I don't own one, these cars seem pretty good, with only minor things to fix, as mentioned, as most other cars.
Now, would someone PLEASE come forward with a Sephia shop manual! I need the rear wheel hub nut torque specs!!!!
(Fixing a friend's Sephia. New hubs (bearing fell out when replacing drums; shop said they are not supposed to fall out, as they are non-replaceable type.)
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts