Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an engine recall last year, I had transmission problems with my Kia Carnival and that was fixed October last year and now the problem is back.

I've been happy with the Carnival and over the years, it has provided good service to me and my work.

It's this recurring problem that keep you at edge and one may think its the dealer service dept that is not equiped for this sort of work.

Has anybody encountered this problem? It happens when driving that the auto transmission just disengages from high and only shifts from second to third. If you happen to stop on the lights, it does not shift to low gear so you end up down shifting to low manually (but still does not engage but stays on second and shifts to third and stops there).

Only way around is to stop on the kerb and shutdown the engine. Restarting afterwards seems to resolve the problem or get over it. Is this what Kia is supposed to do?

Makes me wonder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cause of problem is the 'speed sensor' that needs to be replaced. It has been replaced twice now. First one lasted 3 months and this second one was just replaced yesterday (27Nov).

I think Kia needs to recall this model to ensure the transmission filter/cooling system can support the vehicle net load as I see that through prolonged trips, this sensor life expectancy decreases. I've travelled some 2,500 kms the last 3 months and this has wear/tear repurcussions.

A major overhaul of the transmission (or possible replacement) is not the answer. I think its the cooling/filter system which gets clogged and has reduced capacity thereafter.

Think about it, engineers !

·
Registered
2 Posts
some solution may be here:
start the engine, press brake and turn on transmission. Still keep the breaks and push accelerator for some short time. The tahometer reading should be 1800- 2000prm. If it is above 1800rpm - go and replace auto transmittion sensor

·
Registered
2 Posts
some solution may be here:
start the engine, press brake and turn on transmission. Still keep the breaks and push accelerator for some short time. The tahometer reading should be 1800- 2000prm. If it is above 2000rpm - go and replace auto transmittion sensor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have a Kia Carnival 2001 with the same problem.

Did you ever solve yours?

Did the problem come back or has it been "fixed" with the change of the speed sensor?

/Anders

·
Registered
57 Posts
:eek:fftopic: I STILL HAVE A SURGE WHEN SHIFTING @45MPH-I COULD ALSO CALL IT A HICCUP-NO PROBLEMS FOUND IS ALL I GET FROM THE DEALER. IT IS SO BAD SOMETIMES IT WILL ACTUALLY GIVE YOU BUTTERFLIES IN YOUR STOMACH-I CAN MAKE IT DO IT IF I START OFF FROM A STOP QUICK AND THEN SLOW DOWN @ 30MPH AND KEEP A STEADY PACE-THEN WHEN IT SHIFTS @45 IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE IT PULLS YOU BACKWARDS. MY THOUGHT IS OVERDRIVE COMING IN/OUT? BUT DON`T KNOW MUCH ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS. FLUID WAS FLUSHED AT 30K MILES AND IT NOW HAS 36K. FLUID WAS BROWN @ 30K. :auto: :alien:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speed sensors and some connectors has been playing up and have caused the transmission to disengage from high and won't shift down or even return to 1st gear when on full stop.

That was almost a year now and it is performing better -- the transmission, that is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Macalalad,

I too have had the same problems, only last week, my second speed sensor (approx 1 year old) had gone **** up. Have you been able to find out what causes these things to go, and how it can be avoided?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much did they sting you to do the job?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carnival auto gear problem

I get about the same issue, except worse: Randomly, in a 100km trip, my auto gearbox disengages drive and won't engage any gear, including reverse. Restarting the engine on "park" resolves the issue. Frequency of the problem increases. Where is the speed sensor you are talking about? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I get about the same issue, except worse: Randomly, in a 100km trip, my auto gearbox disengages drive and won't engage any gear, including reverse. Restarting the engine on "park" resolves the issue. Frequency of the problem increases. Where is the speed sensor you are talking about? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks.
Did you notice this thread is 10 years old? Start a new thread lots more will see it!....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts