Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make my keyfobs work for both cars so I dont have to carry both on my keychain, its a real pain in the a**!

I have a 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid, and a 2014 Kia Sorrento EX V6. The keyfobs are very similar.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Take the FOB to the KIA dealer with the car you want it to be programed to...
If the fob is compatible with the second car they should be able to program the car for the FOB... The remote/FOB doesn't know what car(s) it opens...it just sends a code.. The BCM (body control module) decodes the signal and unlocks the car...
You know that BOTH CARs will respond to a key push if they are close by each other...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the FOB to the KIA dealer with the car you want it to be programed to...
If the fob is compatible with the second car they should be able to program the car for the FOB... The remote/FOB doesn't know what car(s) it opens...it just sends a code.. The BCM (body control module) decodes the signal and unlocks the car...
You know that BOTH CARs will respond to a key push if they are close by each other...
Dave
I was hoping there would be some way to do it myself at home.

I'm fine with both cars responding to a key push since I hardly ever actually use the buttons on the key.... I have gotten really use to using the button on the doors to lock and unlock when we get in/out, it's so convenient to not have to take my keys out of my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
You were not clear on what type of FOB you wanted to use...

If you are talking about the FOB that allows "PUSH TO START" instead of using a key in the ignition .... Then.... It probably will not work....
Check with the dealer..they may be able to program one starting "FOB" to work with both.

I was talking about the standard key fob that locks/unlocks/pops trunk/and sets "PANIC" alarm...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of my cars have the push button ignition

Thanks for your replies. I sent a txt msg to my guy at the dealer and he is going to check for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Each car knows it's programmed pin from the factory. You cannot change it to one from another car. If you try to enter the wrong pin code the vehicle will electronically lock you out of being able to start the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts