Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple.

Driving along in automatic "D" (6th gear) at 65mph at about 2400rpms. On cruise control.

Knock it over to manual and the rpms go up to 2600.

Back to auto and 2400.

Back to manual and 2600.

What gives? No gears shifted.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
i have felt that when moving to manual, the rpms increase...
so i have no idea, but certainly not limited just to your car.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Try accelerating slowly up to 65 mph in auto. You'll probably find that 6th climbs to 2600 rpm and then slips back to 2400 once you reach a constant 65 mph and the transmission "locks".

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The torque converter clutch locks at cruise, but unlocks when placed into sport shift. There is always slight slippage in the torque converter, but locking it the slippage is eliminated and the RPM drops. This means better mpgs and lower trans temp.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wry: tried it, no different.

Sponge: Probable explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Wry: tried it, no different.

Daddy O

It's definitely the torque converter lock-up in Auto (D) Mode (per Sponge's explanation). It is described on the KGIS site (albiet a bit buried). I LOVE the Sport Mode for tooling around town. It really makes this car fun to drive when combined with the spirited Gamma engine. Obviously Sport Mode is not the place to be when trying to get the best mileage during highway driving :)

Every day I drive this car I am impressed with the High Tech electronics and firmware that control everything from steering to stopping. I do not see any shortcuts in the drive train or EPS that scream "economy car"

After a couple of conversations with KIA I am also convinced that another TSB will be issued for our ISG system that will add a timer for stop signs. They must not have stop signs in Korea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Wry: tried it, no difference.

Waddya mean "No difference"? You weren't supposed to see a difference. If you look at the 2 posts, you will see that they amount to the same explanation.

One of my cars is a 4-speed auto and works the same way: Gets to 100km/h in 4th @3000 rpm and it then drops back to 2750 for cruise; it almost feels like it's a 5-speed box. Manual mode unlocks, so back to 3000.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Waddya mean "No difference"? You weren't supposed to see a difference. If you look at the 2 posts, you will see that they amount to the same explanation.
Merely meant I did exactly as he said and it slipped from 2600 to 2400 exactly as it did in the past. Hence, no difference. Wasn't looking for a change, just a probable confirmation and I got it. Auto locked in at 2400, manual stayed at 2600.

Guys, not complaining or arguing, just needed a quick explanation for the rpm action and got it. Agreed with it 100%. Thanks.

Except for one thing. Now that I no longer drink coffee while I drive, I wish I had a manual. That's all. I'll drop it here and say no more.

Others can flame on.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX Auto, Supercharged 2003 Chevy Avalanche
15 Posts
It's more like 2 different tranny programs vice engine programs ....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good Observation

Merely meant I did exactly as he said and it slipped from 2600 to 2400 exactly as it did in the past. Hence, no difference. Wasn't looking for a change, just a probable confirmation and I got it. Auto locked in at 2400, manual stayed at 2600.
Hey

This was a good observation. 99.9% of Rio owners world wide would never have noticed it. There are probably thousands of Rio drivers tooling along on highways in "6th gear" Manual Mode thinking they are actually saving gas. But not if they read this forum ;)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts

Guys, not complaining or arguing, just needed a quick explanation for the rpm action and got it. Agreed with it 100%. Thanks.

Others can flame on.
No flaming intended, just confused by your response.

Thread confirms that you hardly ever need to use manual mode. Maybe for engine braking on downhill runs, or down a gear or two when preparing for an overtaking manoevre, but even in the latter case auto is just as good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thread confirms that you hardly ever need to use manual mode. Maybe for engine braking on downhill runs, or down a gear or two when preparing for an overtaking manoevre, but even in the latter case auto is just as good.
And don't forget being able to manually start in 2nd gear on the slippery winter slopes of Upstate New York:) I absolutely love the 6A tranny in this car...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah, no flaming received. I get into such a mad rush sometimes my responses need greater clarity.

And I've never tried 2nd gear for snow. Even with my xA manual I always just feathered the clutch and kept the rpms near idle. I'll have to remember that to try manual 2nd.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
I just bought my 2013 Rio 5 SX with the premium package & auto Monday. I guess I need to read the manual better because I have no clue how to put it in manual mode. All cars I've had before you could disable overdrive by hitting a button but I found nothing for my Rio. Headed out to get the owners manual & read some more "sigh"

Rick

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
I just bought my 2013 Rio 5 SX with the premium package & auto Monday. I guess I need to read the manual better because I have no clue how to put it in manual mode. All cars I've had before you could disable overdrive by hitting a button but I found nothing for my Rio. Headed out to get the owners manual & read some more "sigh"

Rick
always a good idea to read the owners manual thoroughly, and also you can download it in pdf format from KGIS for free, that way you can keep a mint copy and your can use the search feature to find things quick in your manual :D
Page 5/19 - Sports mode (its what those + and - indicators next to the N and D are for)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
Thanks a bunch, I've read some of the manual but I've only had the car since Monday night so with work & driving the wife around I haven't had the chance.
I was wondering what the + & - where for & I seached all over for that illusive overdrive button. Got it now..gotta go try it, thanks again.

Rick

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
Very cool, my 04 Eclipse I use to have had the same thing. Hell, I haven't even used the paddle shifters yet. I used the cruise the 1st time this morning coming home from work. The more stuff I try the better I like this car. :auto:

Rick

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte LX+SE, Ford Escape
31 Posts
I have a 2013 EX manual transmission. Should I be getting the same RPM's with this Transmission? Also, when you are in 6th gear, is the engine still smooth or does it sound rough? Mine has a rough vibration to it.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I have a 2013 EX manual transmission. Should I be getting the same RPM's with this Transmission? Also, when you are in 6th gear, is the engine still smooth or does it sound rough? Mine has a rough vibration to it.
i can't recall what the dif and gear ratios are in the auto vs manual comparo but in the manual it's probably going to be a touch higher. I forget what our manual does at highway speed but it's definitely not rough, it's smooth. If you have a rough vibration then i fear you might have the dreaded knocking issue listed in TSB127 for which the 'fix' is basically a replacement engine.

who knows though, could be many things. It sounds like i have a slightly wonky pulley somewhere which can be noisy from time to time. But it doesn't cause vibration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts