Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$350-400 to replace plugs!! Apparently it is necessary to remove the surge tank (intake plenum) to get at the rear three plugs. I found a 16 step (!!!) procedure online for doing so. Once the plenum is removed, is access to the plugs easy? Has anyone on the list done this job?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
Yup, I was less than thrilled when I found this out myself ...when I get to that point I have yet to decide if I am going to tackle this job..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please, has anyone done a DIY for plugs on a 2.7L V6? Comments?

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Do you typically have to replace the plenum gasket?

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
I have replaced it, and not. It always good practice to replace gaskets when working on stuff like this, but since it is a metal gasket, I found I was able to reuse it. One note on the DIY, don't bother to disconnect the throttle body from the tank. Take the whole assembly off together. That gasket will need to be replaced if you do. Also, there are many people that do this and bolt the surge tank to the rear metal support before torqueing down the tank. This can cause a vacuum leak between the surge tank and intake manifold. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Please, has anyone done a DIY for plugs on a 2.7L V6? Comments?
I replaced ours last year, I found the stock plugs didn't last the reported 160,000 km. I replaced them with Denso IKH16 Iridium Power Spark Plugs from ebay for about $50. I had intended to replace the surge tank/intake manifold gasket but the car parts place gave me the wrong one so I reused the original. If I remember correctly, the kgis site was a bit useless. It only described the front spark plug removal not the back 3. You have to go through part of the intake manifold removal process described in kgis in order to get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts