Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento XS 2.5 CRDTI 2006/2007
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what type of valve gear is fitted to the 2.5CRDI engine, as mine makes an awful racket when started from cold. Sounds like 1 loose tappet.

Steve W

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Steve,

Mines the same (been like it from new), complained to the supplying dealer but he has told me it is normal when cold, but I'm not convinced as I've listened to others and they aren't as noisey from the outside when being driven. Until the dealer agrees to invetigate there isn't much can be done other than report the dissatisfaction to KIA customer service, at least that way they have it on their records that you have reported a problem if the engine fails.

I have been told that the valve gear is hydraulic (self adjusting), so unless there is a restricted/blocked oil way there shouldn't be any problems.

Ian

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might be a silly point, but make sure the oil is kept up to the mark and, while Kia may not state it as a requirement, an oil change every 6K miles may not go amiss, depending on your driving style etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to the Sorento service manual this temporary noise when starting a cold engine is normal and will disappear after the oil in the engine reaches the normal pressure.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi

My new CRDi also sounds like a trcator when cold but it evens out quickly. I don't think there's any fault there. I've been told that the solution (used by other manufacturers) is to increase the fuel ratio when cold, so wasting fuel but decreasing noise. I'll stick with the noise !!

Cheers

Derek :57:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by Boyo@Sep 4 2005, 09:20 PM
Hi I am new to this forum, i would like to add that the CRDI engine that was fitted to the Merc ML, is fitted to the Sorento with one exception, our engine still uses chain drive where as the quiter ML uses Rubber
Boyo :
Who told you that?
The ML never used a 2.5 diesel iirc.

The 2.5 Sorento engine is a Hyundai design through and through.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
As far as I'm aware the CRDi diesel (2.9l I think) used in the Jeep Cherokee (there's a diff name for the Cherokee elsewhere I think) here is the Merc one def not the one in the Sorento.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry Boyo, didn't mean it to come out like that.

Some confusion about the origin of all kia engines lies in the badging, CRDi is a generic term, much like TDi etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have just completed 12500 miles on my XE 5 speed auto in 11 months from new, has a dragon chip on it recommended by Ian Malthouse, it's now getting to be quite a quiet engine, did rattle a bit at first when new and seems to rattle more without the chip but generally purrs.
I'm just awaiting for the delivery of an XS 5 speed auto so I will do as before which was an oil change at 5000 and fit the chip again. Fingers crossed that I will be as happy with the new one as the one I am trading in, which I think I'm mad to do but want climate control.
Generally I think you have to give the engine a good run in, wait till you have at least 10000 on the clock, then you should start to be satisfied with the engine as it wears in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi there.
i have the 2005 sorento xse-GRRREAT car.
mine is noisey when cold also. ok when warm. Mine is still too new to be looking at an oil change yet, however:
i have owned several diesels before and the best stuff i ever found, for an engine, and it quietens them down a lot is 'slick 50' additive. expensive but fantastic-noticably better mpg too.
to top it off (as the 'slick 50' additive is only a small amount of oil), using mobil 1 oil as well is the absolute best combination i have found by far. again a tad dear though.
hope this helps. and i will be amazed if you don't notice the difference in noise AND mpg.
please advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts