Kia Forum banner

2.4L Engine Date question.

Tags
enginedate
3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  surreal1272 
#1 ·
Okay so I just bought my 2014 Sorento a month ago with 214K miles on it. It runs greats and no complaints thus far but I was looking under the hood and noticed what looks like a date stamp from this year. The engine number is the original number for my Sorento. Anyone know what this means? Looks like a replacement to me.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Luggage and bags Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Not going to bet money on it, but the ground strap nut and engine mount nuts look like they show activity marks. The stamped date (2012) is on the top end of the motor, could just be the head or complete engine was replaced ?. The water pump and front of engine looks pretty clean for a 214K mile 2014. The sticker up top on the plastic is most likely a part from the old original engine. New blocks/heads can fit multiple years or models so they come fairly stripped down w/o the added external dressing and parts. Take it into a dealer, ask the service manager to look for any engine replacement info. If nothing, It was probably done by an a DIY, owners friend, or independent shop so car-fax search could be 50/50 in finding any recording of mileage when work was done. I would guess 2.4's with 214K and original engines are a rarity.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I do know that the original engine stamp (on top) indicates it was built 2013 (car first sold May 2013) and I'm sure a prt or two has been replaced over the course of 214K miles. I should also note that you would never guess the high mileage of this car if I didn't say anything. Was a one owner corporate car its entire life until I bought it. Very well taken care on the inside as well. Seeing that stamp so prominently had me wondering about something more extensive being done. Not a big deal as long as everything was on the up and up. There are no active recalls on mine so any past ones have already been covered and the carfax report does not give an indication of the work. I do plan on stopping by a nearby Kia dealership and getting more info on it though.

#4 ·
There was a Kia replacement program for defective 2012-2019 2.4 engines in specific vehicles.. It was not a recall, but a free replacement program for failing engines in a specific range. Your's could have been in that program, The dealer can verify that using your VIN #. As it was a corporate car then most likely they follow maintenance requirements and use the dealer service shops or reputable repair shops that would should update carfax service records. Good luck with your new to you vehicle... maybe another 214K...

Reactions: surreal1272
#7 ·
It turns out they also replaced two separate parts (under different recalls) related to the airbag systems, one for the clockspring assembly and one for ODS sensor pad. At least I now know that the really important stuff has been done and I feel like this should give me many years of (hopefully) trouble free use, aside from normal wear and tear of course. Sure can't argue with getting a fresh new engine on day one with an 8 year old car, without one extra cent coming out of my pocket.

#9 ·
The Service Advisor at the Kia dealership told me the engine on my Sorento has been replaced on 8/21/2019 with a new long block. I now have 15,502 miles on a brand new engine. They also said the dealership has done a lot of these engine replacements. In addition, a new power steering pump has been installed. I already knew the CV axle had been replaced on the driver's side. Although I am happy my Kia has had all this service, IMO, it seems like a lot of maintenance has been done to keep this vehicle on the road.

#10 ·
The 2.4 engines are problematic for certain year ranges (replaced if defective program), as far as PS pump and CVC's you may get a better response in the 2011-2013 forum section. as far as the 2015-2014, in this forum, our power steering is electric and I have seen little if any threads on CVC problems.

Reactions: surreal1272
#11 ·
It is good that Kia and Hyundai got their act together and started doing right by their customers. What surprises me with mine is that they still replaced it, no cost, when it had 214K miles on it. Most recalls like that have a mileage cap. I am not complaining though as I know for a fact that it was taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.