Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The results are in, sort of. Pepboys didn't do me wrong. The car did. I'm about 27 days and 600 miles later. I pulled the dip stick and it's slowly going down

This one is the day after being changed.

I'm going to stop by at 1000 miles so it's more obvious the rate it's going.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,373 Posts
The only important thing for oil consumption evaluation it that the check be done exactly the same way each time, particularly the amount of wait time after the engine is shut off (it can be any amount of time, just as long it's always the same). And checking in the exact same place is also required, unless you use a level to make sure of an identical NSEW pitch each time.

From the 600 mile dipstick picture, it appears that your engine is not yet close to losing Kia's "acceptable'" 1 quart in 1K miles. But continue the checking, because you will at least establish a 'baseline', which can subsequently be used to determine if the oil loss is accelerating in the future. And take it in after the 1K check if you feel you must, but I recommend not getting high hopes about Kia doing anything for you at this point.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,450 Posts
The oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level. You'll get a warning light if your brake fluid gets really low, but for oil, you have to just check it every so often. A good time to check is when you stop at the gas station to fill up. Leave it running, and check the level (assuming the car has warmed up fully before stopping for gas). The level should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way between the low and full hash marks. Going by your picture you need another 1.5-2 quarts I'd say.

But if you didn't check the oil since having it changed at Pep Boys, I would not assume you're consuming oil.. I would assume they just didn't fill it with the right amount. That's certainly happened to me at Jiffy Lube and other similar places.
I am sure you meant shut it off and check the level. Leave it running for Trans fluid check and off for oil level check.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
I am sure you meant shut it off and check the level. Leave it running for Trans fluid check and off for oil level check.
I see you're no longer a Sorento owner. Can assure you, you would not want to leave the engine running to do a transmission fluid level check the way it's been done in either this or the previous generation of Sorento.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I see you're no longer a Sorento owner. Can assure you, you would not want to leave the engine running to do a transmission fluid level check the way it's been done in either this or the previous generation of Sorento.
When I did own one the accepted practice was to shut the engine off when you checked the oil and the engine was running when you checked the transmission fluid. Since I don't own one of the newer models it is news to me. I was remarking on the statement you made about the engine being running while checking the oil since this is a thread on oil consumption.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts

You should always check the transmission level with the engine running at idle.

...yes, even on a late model Sorento.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Doing it the 'old way' would be pretty hard to do without a dip stick. The process is one of opening up the case below and seeing how fast the fluid drains from the port. IIRC, that's done with warm fluid, but not with the engine running.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
I was remarking on the statement you made about the engine being running while checking the oil since this is a thread on oil consumption.
Except I didn't. That would have someone else. I agree with engine off for oil. I only commented upon the difficulty of checking transmission fluid with the engine running. They have removed the dip stick since your 2003, and now claim no need to check, fill or replace. A lot of people don't buy into that, of course.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Doing it the 'old way' would be pretty hard to do without a dip stick. The process is one of opening up the case below and seeing how fast the fluid drains from the port. IIRC, that's done with warm fluid, but not with the engine running.

Let me repeat...

If you want to be sure the level is correct, you need to check it with the engine running. Otherwise the level will end up being too low.

(And yes, I've done several transmission drain & fills on both my 2014 and 2019 Sorentos)

For more see THIS POST

Richard

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
165 Posts
The Kia service manual doesn't specify this, right? Whether the engine should be running or not when checking the level.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I don't think the official KIA service manual specifically says "leave the engine running", however, it doesn't tell you to turn it off either.

Like I said in my previous post, if you check it with the engine off, the level will be on the low side (almost half a quart in my transmission).

Read the post I linked to.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Hmmm, you're right about that -- Kia doesn't explicitly say to shut it down or leave it running (see below), so one could assume from that that the vehicle is supposed to be left running while up on the lift and lowered again. That's not typical practice, and I'd surely stay out of the way of 140F (60C) oil regardless (122F (50C) is relatively safe for short exposure, but 140F for 5 seconds = 3rd degree burn, DIYers take note), but ...

It was always my impression that (only) for this oddball fill/check design with no dip stick, running the temperature up was to get the right viscosity/volume due to expansion with increased temperature, and running it through the gears was to assure proper distribution before the actual check, after which the pump became irrelevant to the results due to lack of immediate drain-down in this design.

From both Kia and Hyundai:
Remove the fill plug on top of transmission. Add 700 cc of fluid. Start the engine; don’t step on brake and accelerator simultaneously. Confirm that the temperature of the A/T oil temperature sensor is 50-60°C(122-140°F) with a proper scan tool. Shift the select lever slowly from “P” to “D”, then “D” to “P” and repeat once more at idle, then shift the select lever to "N". Stay on each speed position more than 2 sec. At this time, the vehicle must be at a level state. Lift the vehicle, then remove the oil level plug from the valve body cover. If the oil flows out of the level plug in a thin steady stream, the oil level is correct. If the oil doesn’t drip out, inspect the automatic transaxle assembly for leaks. Add additional oil as necessary until oil flows out of overflow plug in a thin steady stream. Then finish the procedure and tighten the level plug. Lower the vehicle and tighten the fill plug.

Wording above is also what Hyundai was recommending back to 2010 when the 6 speed was first introduced there.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Except I didn't. That would have someone else. I agree with engine off for oil. I only commented upon the difficulty of checking transmission fluid with the engine running. They have removed the dip stick since your 2003, and now claim no need to check, fill or replace. A lot of people don't buy into that, of course.
You are correct. You did not and I apologize for getting you mixed up with rejesterd who did say it.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well the results are in... Drum roll...

So my second check at about bout 850 miles it was down maybe half quart. I looked this morning for my final check which was 1060 miles or so. I was down a little less than a quart. Im think it's less than usual due to my driving having no traffic now that I don't commute. So any and all driving it's higher speed. So I'm sure less engine hours per mile driven accounts for losing less.

Anyways, I dropped bit off this morning as I mentioned for the last check and they told me they would reach out to corporate for next steps.. New engine! Wow.. I thought for sure they would blow me off. But no, they are putting in a "new" remanufactured long block. Hope they rebuilt this engine well and it gives me no issues. They had the engine in stock and are working on it right now.

I'm just surprised.. Maybe the recent engine fire lawsuit and the knock sensor ksds put the fear in Kia to just replace the engine if it's crap?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,373 Posts
.... New engine! … I'm just surprised..
I am as well because the Kia/Hyundai position has been that 1 quart per 1K miles is 'normal', and I've not seen another case like yours where they've replaced an engine with that usage. But hey, good for you and hopefully you'll get more than 3 years from this one.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
23 Posts
good service for sure!! not like GM's short warranty with girlfriends 2.5L oil suckin 13 malibu that used some from new + using over a qt per thou when traded last year for her preowned lo mile 2018 optima 2.4L. 2 changes at 5 thou ea with quaker state ultimate durability 10w30 + NO consumption, about 20 thou on the car + VERY PLEASED!!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts