Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the oil on my Sorento today and noticed it seems incredibly low. This was with the dip, wipe, re-dip method (I moved the car out of the driveway to park on a flat spot, it only ran for mayb 20 seconds and I let it sit for an hour before checking.

Last oil change at pepboys was 3800 miles ago. Since I've bought it I've only taken it to pepboys for two changes so far (within the range of the factory service interval) so I have documented proof of when its been changed. I am suprised the low oil light did not come on (what is the threshold?). Anyhow I am going to check with my local kia dealer about dropping it off to check for unusual oil consumption. I am at 53k so I am still under warranty (second owner warranty).

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called my dealer, I have an 8am appointment. The service advisor mentioned they may do some tests and one thing that might occur is them topping it off and me brining it back to check the level to verify consumption.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,007 Posts
I was checking the oil on my Sorento today and noticed it seems incredibly low. This was with the dip, wipe, re-dip method (I moved the car out of the driveway to park on a flat spot, it only ran for mayb 20 seconds and I let it sit for an hour before checking.

Last oil change at pepboys was 3800 miles ago. Since I've bought it I've only taken it to pepboys for two changes so far (within the range of the factory service interval) so I have documented proof of when its been changed. I am suprised the low oil light did not come on (what is the threshold?). Anyhow I am going to check with my local kia dealer about dropping it off to check for unusual oil consumption. I am at 53k so I am still under warranty (second owner warranty).
Not sure what we're meant to see in that photo, but it looks like the oil level is way over the full/normal mark.

The oil light - it is a low pressure oil light, not level

I wouldn't show the dealer the car is over filled as it appears in the photo, that too has the potential of causing engine damage.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you are seeing is a shadow. Look at the end of the stick, you can see the oil. The thin line of oil is just from the tube, pulling it in and out.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,407 Posts
It looks to be around 2 quarts low. However, unless you checked the level after the oil change, you have no idea how much was actually used, because there's no way to know if they filled it properly to the top.

But in any case, you're wasting your time doing an oil consumption test with Kia. Let's say they did fill it all the way to the top at the last oil change, the result of which would be the maximum possible oil loss since the oil was changed. So that makes it 2 quarts used in 3800 miles, or 1 quart per 1900 miles. That usage rate is nowhere close to the 1 quart per 1000 miles, which is what Kia calls 'normal' usage (that's Kia talking, not me). When they determine your vehicle's rate of usage is 1 quart per 1900 miles, they're just going to hand the keys back to you and send you on your way. But full speed ahead if you don't believe what I'm saying is correct.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks to be around 2 quarts low. However, unless you checked the level after the oil change, you have no idea how much was actually used, because there's no way to know if they filled it properly to the top.

But in any case, you're wasting your time doing an oil consumption test with Kia. Let's say they did fill it all the way to the top at the last oil change, the result of which would be the maximum possible oil loss since the oil was changed. So that makes it 2 quarts used in 3800 miles, or 1 quart per 1900 miles. That usage rate is nowhere close to the 1 quart per 1000 miles, which is what Kia calls 'normal' usage (that's Kia talking, not me). When they determine your vehicle's rate of usage is 1 quart per 1900 miles, they're just going to hand the keys back to you and send you on your way. But full speed ahead if you don't believe what I'm saying is correct.
Well that is unfortunate if true. Hard to believe they could call this normal. If I went the full factory interval I'd surely lose another quart or more. Well I have plenty of time to waste as I have a second car. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
889 Posts
Advise - Get a fresh oil change. Mark the time and date and milage on paper. Check the level yourself before you leave the garage. Then check the level once a week, keeping notes as to any decrease in oil level. One quart every 3K miles is considered normal, but with only 53K on the odo it (consumption) seems a little high. Use only high quality full synthetic oil along with a high quality Wix premium oil filter. Let us know if Kia finds a leak somewhere. Do you park in a garage? Any oil spots on floor? Any spots on driveway?

One dealership I used to frequent shorted you a half quart on purpose to make extra money for the dealership. It does not take long to add up savings (extra profit) for the boss when you do hundreds of oil changes a week.....

Reactions: Pretender

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,407 Posts
… If I went the full factory interval I'd surely lose another quart or more. ….
And even more fun is what happens to vehicles with Kia's 'normal' usage of 1 quart per 1K miles, when owners don't check the oil regularly (which is the great majority these days).

But the really good news for you is that, assuming you had the knock sensor product improvement done, your vehicle now has an unlimited mileage/15 year warranty for rod/bearing failure. So if any damage has been done to your engine by running low oil levels, it's likely to eventually fail and you'll get a replacement at N/C. That's basically how Kia/Hyundai is handling the rest of the story of their 'normal' oil usage.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
529 Posts
Pep Boys might be the last place I'd take my car for any work at all, one step below Iffy Lube and Wally World. It wouldn't surprise me if they missed a couple of quarts on refill because they use an automated fill system which can lose its prime, malfunction, dial set wrong, etc.. They generally don't have the sense to actually check the level when they are done. I'd start with a fresh oil change, check it yourself and then keep checking it every 500 miles to see if the level is dropping. If not, you have your answer and if it is, just get in the habit of checking it regularly because as mentioned, Kia (and every other manufacturer just about) will call it "normal".

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
The oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level. You'll get a warning light if your brake fluid gets really low, but for oil, you have to just check it every so often. A good time to check is when you stop at the gas station to fill up. Leave it running, and check the level (assuming the car has warmed up fully before stopping for gas). The level should be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way between the low and full hash marks. Going by your picture you need another 1.5-2 quarts I'd say.

But if you didn't check the oil since having it changed at Pep Boys, I would not assume you're consuming oil.. I would assume they just didn't fill it with the right amount. That's certainly happened to me at Jiffy Lube and other similar places.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm gonna proceeded with getting it looked at by Kia and then go from there. I used to change my own oil, but I stopped when I got this car. I do hope it just pepboys being inept. I guess I will check their work for now on if I continue to go there.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,007 Posts
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm gonna proceeded with getting it looked at by Kia and then go from there. I used to change my own oil, but I stopped when I got this car. I do hope it just pepboys being inept. I guess I will check their work for now on if I continue to go there.
Most manufacturers Corp. dictate the standard lube oil service fee which is very reasonably priced, and if you stick with that and decline the typical up-selling, that is far safer than quick-lube places that you know don't employ qualified staff.
Wrong oil, incorrect amount, wrong filter, cheap filter, stripped drain plug threads, failure to re-install underbody covers, .......all typical of quick-lube places.

"The Works" at Ford is around $35 and I take my own oil so they discount it by a measly $5, ........ that is the few occasions that I don't do it myself.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm I should check that. Yeah I was actually upset with pepboys last change as they used a cheap filter that wont meet the drain interval for this cycle (limited to 5k miles). I will check kias rate. At this point it might be worth the slight up charge.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
We're fortunate in North America that the law allows us to have regular maintenance done by places other than registered dealerships, including DIY, but if things go pear shaped and Kia find an oil filter installed that does not meet or exceed their spec., it would void warranty, which in my opinion is fair.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So as we all expected they found nothing. I had them change the oil and they asked I come back in 500-1000 miles to check the level. All I paid for was the over priced oil service but atleast now they know it's full vs the unknown from pepboys.

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 113500
I would bring it to a KIA dealer, several service advisories about oil consumption, get them involved asap.

·
Registered
'17 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD
14 Posts
Walmart over tightened my oil filter on my Sonata, resulting in most of the oil draining out, and the dreaded oil pressure light coming on. I did take the car to the dealer immediately after that, and they did not void my warranty. They did check the sensor that checks for excessive metal debris in the oil, and said that they thought things were OK. My engine ran for another 100k miles before seizing, and was replaced under the extended lawsuit warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
24 Posts
being in a hotter state i hope your using a xx w 30 oil, in Pa girlfriends preowned 18 optima gets spec 5-30 in winter + spec 10-30 in summer with new filter + changed + documented with receipts by ME!!

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
Walmart over tightened my oil filter on my Sonata, resulting in most of the oil draining out...

Sounds to me like they "double gasketed" the filter (they left the gasket from the old filter behind).

Richard

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...in Pa girlfriends preowned 18 optima gets spec 5-30 in winter + spec 10-30 in summer...

You can stick with a 5W-30 multi-grade year-round. There is no need (or advantage) to switch to a 10W-30 in the summer.

Richard

Reactions: Jacob King
1 - 20 of 44 Posts