Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'07 KIA Rondo EX Premium
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am, as I write this, waiting to hear how much $$$ damage $$$ there will be to repair a faulty (noisy) timing chain adjuster. I was told that the best case scenario would be $1200 worst being $2400, depending on what they found when they opened the side of the engine...

I bought the Rondo with the 2.4 I4 instead of the V6 mainly because I was told that since the engine has a timing chain, not a belt...that the engine would be virtually bulletproof.

While the local dealerships have all told me that they have never seen this problem before...the engine is a machine...and machines break.

If this has "never happened" before...I'm led to believe that the cause of failure is due to a defect in the part installed in my engine.

More than frustrated...car is off warranty...not sure if there is any recourse for me whatsoever...

Anyone have a magic wand?

·
Registered
07 rondo ex-v6 7seat, leather,sunroof.infinity 10 spkr audio,09 honda fit sport 5sp.
125 Posts
I am, as I write this, waiting to hear how much $$$ damage $$$ there will be to repair a faulty (noisy) timing chain adjuster. I was told that the best case scenario would be $1200 worst being $2400, depending on what they found when they opened the side of the engine...

I bought the Rondo with the 2.4 I4 instead of the V6 mainly because I was told that since the engine has a timing chain, not a belt...that the engine would be virtually bulletproof.

While the local dealerships have all told me that they have never seen this problem before...the engine is a machine...and machines break.

If this has "never happened" before...I'm led to believe that the cause of failure is due to a defect in the part installed in my engine.

More than frustrated...car is off warranty...not sure if there is any recourse for me whatsoever...

Anyone have a magic wand?
Sorry to hear of your troubles.Maybe kia will do a"good faith gesture".And pay part or all of the bill.Since as you said ,THEY SAID,never seen this problem before.Wish you luck my friend:(

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Is the chain tensioner something you can access yourself, from the outside of the engine? Or do you need to remove the engine and split the cases to get at the part?

·
Registered
'07 KIA Rondo EX Premium
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harris KIA in Nanaimo cracked into the engine yesterday...big problems...they feel that the hydraulic timing chain tensioner failed which led to catostropgic metal damage...$2700+ to replace all parts with a 20% discount to labor. This does nothing to address issues that may or may not have been caused deeper inside by the messed up timing system...

We have decided to buy a donor engine (with substantially less kms) and re & re at about the same cost.

I feel like KIA has me over a bit of a barrel here...

Service manager mentioned the KIA Canada "Goodwill Program" usually for vehicles up to around 120,000 km...he was going to check into it nevertheless...our vehicle has about 140,000km

On the bright side, we have rented a Toyota Prius...and though it accelerates like a steamship...we're saving on fuel while our KIA is in the shop.

j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts