Kia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by clartsonly@Aug 15 2005, 10:58 PM

I assume it is quite normal to get water dripping from the underside of the car when the aircon has been used.?
Normal and essential!
Condesation draining from the Evaporator unit.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Same here Murphwiz, my previous MPV (Citroen Synergie ) had climate ctrl and from me owning it @ 3yrs right up to passing it on @ 7yrs, the AC has worked fine and never needed any attention. I put it down the the fact its used frequently.

My other car ( Laguna 1.9dTI ) was bought cheap, but the AC was busted. It turned out the condenser was perished, but fortunately I found one on ebay quite cheap and got the AC up and running for a total of £180...well worth it. I have to admit the coldest most crispest AC is my Lagunas that was fully charged up late 2004.

This KIA I bought was rumoured to be sat idle for about 3 months as the company I bought it from had got their sales mgr another car. It was just being used as a pool car/ gen runabout .Three months without activation could be enough for it to dry up and lose its refridgerant. I hope to learn this is the case tomorrow.
:57:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
...RESULT !!!!

The system just needed a service and top-up. It cost me £80 which I don't object to spending since I intend to run this car for ~3yrs.

So next on the agenda is to find a KIA dealer who'll remedy my rusty tailgate and put the revised handle on it. I'll do a bit of shoppong around to see who comes in cheapest. This tailgate issue is the one thing that really bugs me, if KIA are wishing to populate the British highways with their cars, they won't make a longstanding impact if 3 yr old vehicals are sighted with bubbled up paint & rust scabs. You'd think there would have been a proper recall or at least an internal directive to sort out these problems regardless of the 36month warranty.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Murphwiz,

Thanks for the info' I'm afraid to say I'm still a little confused on AC.

This is my first car with AC, I understood what you said about running it for 30min every week and I'll do that.

Durring the winter months when I have the hot air blower on in the car, is that the same as running the AC?

My Sedona is just over three years old now, how would I know if there is some thing wrong with the AC, is there a warning light?

At the moment it's working fine but due to the age of the car should I have the AC seviced, ( topped up ), is it something I can do myself, or is it best left to Kia?
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by ebod@Aug 16 2005, 07:56 PM
...RESULT !!!!

The system just needed a service and top-up. It cost me £80 which I don't object to spending since I intend to run this car for ~3yrs.
So next on the agenda is to find a KIA dealer who'll remedy my rusty tailgate and put the revised handle on it. I'll do a bit of shoppong around to see who comes in cheapest. This tailgate issue is the one thing that really bugs me, if KIA are wishing to populate the British highways with their cars, they won't make a longstanding impact if 3 yr old vehicals are sighted with bubbled up paint & rust scabs. You'd think there would have been a proper recall or at least an internal directive to sort out these problems regardless of the 36month warranty.

everyone keeps telling you that the paintwork warranty is not 3 years but 6 years. although if you do not have the paintwork yearly check done and paid for £50 then it will not have any warranty past the first year.

write or phone up kia customer services regarding the tailgate and photograph it and fax them your paintwork body check / service stamps.

@seacam - you will know if your A/C isn't working as it will stop making cool air.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
erm....I beg to differ Clartsonly.

The paintwork wrty is 3yrs and the anti-perforation is 6yrs. Thats whats in my service book. I emailed KIA technical who smuggly told me that this would have been covered if brought to their attention during its 3yr warranty.
I told them in no uncertain terms that I think it stinks that this car has been serviced by KIA and conveniently no remarks exist on the records to identify any corrosion...that IMO has been there for about 2½ yrs due to the extent of it.

But hopefully all the Sedona/Carnival owners are watching this post and taking a very careful look at the edges of their <3yrs old tailgate handles. Then at least they won't get ripped off for fixing a design flaw like I will be..... :amen:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
All Kia vehicles are covered by the following warranties:

* A three year unlimited mileage warranty
* A three year roadside assistance package that covers you across mainland Europe as well as in the UK
* A six year anti-perforation warranty*
* A three year paintwork warranty

* Annual bodywork inspection required for which a charge may apply
Now... to me.. rust IS perforation of the metal, and imho should be covered under the 6 year anti perf warranty.
If you have body inspection stamps you case is very strong.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
....sorry for appearing smart ( as I'd be the first to concede I'm not ! :p ! )

...but a "perforation" is a hole. The anti-perforation wrty clearly defines it as a hole in the body. See pg14 on the service book.

I have every confidence this will become a hole inside 6yrs, but 1) I'm not going to give KIA the pleasure of servicing my car an 2) I'm not going be having a scabby banger sat on my drive waiting for a 'perforation' to appear

If there is a KIA employee or franchised dealer reading this who would care to offer the free services of their car bodyshop then please add your details and I'll be right on touch..

·
Registered
391 Posts
no perforation is "from under the paint", if you have a huge scratch down the side and don't get it sorted it is not covered hence the 12 month paint check up - that is not perforation as the damage was not from underneath.

The paintwork 3 yr warranty is if it goes a funny colour like red vauxhalls and fords did a few years ago. or randomly falls off or flakes off.

Although you will have no case whatsoever if you do not have the 12 months stamps and check lists on your service manual which makes all this conversation null and void.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My book has all 3 yrs stamped up
yr1 is ticked no damage - wallgate - Wigan
yr2 is ticked - 'damage noted' - scratches on rear bumper - Bolton KIA
yr3 is ticked - damage noted' - scratches on various panels and damaged to rear bumper - Bolton KIA

I emailed [email protected] and a bloke called Andy Small said..no chance.

Since clarts & murph are certain I've got a case then I might approach Bolton KIA.
However I am still not convinced that this is covered under anti-perf.

I might write to KIA head office. Has anybody ever done this yet?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would say you have a perfect reason for the work to be done. I would be very upset if they refuse to fix that. it should have been fixed I mean it sounds like it has been there for over a year.

did you send the photos and inform them it has a 6 year anti perforation warranty and you are up to date with all the checks?

they should have to take it up with KIA bolton for not resolving it on the examination.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Ebod,
This forum works/informs because of posts such as yours.

Ebod, you don't appear smart, you're stating a fact, perforated or perforation is something holed but that's a dictionary definition, not necessary a legal understanding.

Metal that's been eaten into by rust doesn't mean it's been perforated, say for argument sake surface rust.

I read page 14 carefully and came to the conclusion what's not covered cancels almost anything that is and is just a gimmick.

Kia warrant's for 6 years the workmanship and metal material used in its vehicles, in its raw state, so any defects in that process are covered as long as they accept or you can show that any defect/perforation is due to that process and the onus I suspect would be on you to show this.

I suppose one could argue for Kia's APW to be effective it should do all in its power to make sure that process isn't interfered with.

It beggars belief a car manufacture would fit as normal practice a thin foam seal/gasket between two pieces of metal.

Darala's post got it right.

My feeling is during assembly as the handle is fitted, if it's bolted to tight or through normal use/viberation the strip might perforate and allow water ingress.

In ebod's case clearly the paint has bubbled, probably for the reason above, however as for having it repaired his case is further strengthened by the fact his book is stamped and the problem had been noted.

Ebod if you've got the time argue the case, Kia should fix this for you.

I've checked my tailgate, as yet I don't have a problem but I'm not going to let it get that way I shall make up my own gasket and fit it.
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
if you want ebod I will host a web site with a domain name of your choice they are $13.95 US dollars for a .co.uk for 2 years from networksolutions, and you can brandish your tailgate photos, your story your copies of the bodywork check stamps and the offical written notification from KIA that no action will be taken regarding this issue. then I am sure they will sort out you rust.

it is not your fault it is the kia dealerships fault for not repairing the "KNOWN" manufacturing fault after checking the bodywork.

we will spam all the other car manufacturers and then they will use the website content as a reason NOT to buy a KIA, in all there documentation, especially if you get a formal statement from kia stating that this damage is not a manafacturing fault and that they will not repair it under their 6 year warranty. when there is all this proof and acceptance by them that it is a manufacturing fault.

this type of thing really gets to me and for the sake of a couple of quid we can cause alot more damage for a growing organisation for the sake of a little customer care and responsibility.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts