Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:What have all you Rio SX owners done for snow tires & rims? Dealer tells me only 16 inch wheels fit & 15 inch steelies won't clear brake calipers. What are you guys in Quebec doing:)? I read on another thread that 15 inch from a Mini Cooper will work & have sent a private message to the forum member in Fort MacMurray to find out. Tire Rack & Kia Canada of no help.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
you can keep it, all clear here in south eastern Ontario, just rain.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Our stock size is 185/65/15 unless you swapped out for a different size or drive an sx.
SX is simply at 17 (I think it may be 16) instead of 15.

When you're buying winter tires take into consideration what kind of winters you get. Lots of Ice or lots of snow. If Ice you want studded and if lots of snow then go with non-studded. Generally speaking you want more tread pattern and softer tires. More so the better.

Ive gone with Michelin Ice-x but there are tons of winter tires out there. Pick something that has good reviews and fits. Cheers

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lordhelmet..2 dealers here say 15 inch won't clear brake calipers on SX. Better recheck your dealers advise..Guys,I don't need help on tyres but on which wheels clear the 11 inch diameter brake discs & caliper on the SX.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
lordhelmet..2 dealers here say 15 inch won't clear brake calipers on SX. Better recheck your dealers advise..Guys,I don't need help on tyres but on which wheels clear the 11 inch diameter brake discs & caliper on the SX.
grrr, i tried to tell the guy that i didn't think the SX would be able to accept the same wheel size due to the calipers but he just kept saying "that is what it says here".

ok, we need to get to the bottom of this as "winter is coming!"

i'll try calling dealer again and telling him they won't fit....

·
Premium Member
2012 Rio5 SX Navi and 2008 Sorento LX
36 Posts
My dealer says 15'' will fit. I buy 15'' wheel from a honda civic and try it on my SX. It does clear the caliper but not by much.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX UVO
51 Posts
:eek:What have all you Rio SX owners done for snow tires & rims? Dealer tells me only 16 inch wheels fit & 15 inch steelies won't clear brake calipers. What are you guys in Quebec doing:)? I read on another thread that 15 inch from a Mini Cooper will work & have sent a private message to the forum member in Fort MacMurray to find out. Tire Rack & Kia Canada of no help.
PM sent!

Here's my 15" winter tires with steel rims from a mini cooper.
I've had it on for over 2 weeks now since we got snow very early.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flurus,let us know if honda rims work.Thanks to jpdingle for the info on Mini rims.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I had winter tires put on last Saturday. The dealership gave me a bit of a deal. So I had 16" steel rims and iPike W409 put on. Just in time I might add.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
willywidget,16"steel rims? I didn't know Kia made them & what did you pay for the package? Who's your dealer? Thanks Terry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry, I lied. I have been hanging out in the forums too long. All of this talk that 15" rims won't fit on the SX, I just assumed. In fact I did have 15" steel rims installed with a set of 185/65R15 W409. All in was just shy of $1000. The tires themselves were $488.72.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX
22 Posts
Willywidget, how do you like the Hankook Winter IPike W409? Are they quiet, good handling, smooth ride? These tires seem to be the best bang for the buck. Looking to buy a set of 4 in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX
3 Posts
2013 Rio sx
In Calgary installed yesterday at Blaskin&Lane 15 inch steel rims, direct fit, with 185/65 R15 blizzaks, 960 bucks minus 70 mail-in rebate

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Costco.ca has 15 " Steel Wheels #X99123N for 31.99 each or $128 for 4 including shipping.I will order a set today.looking @ Walmart for Kumho Marshall kW11/19 185/65x15 @$448 a set installed & balanced which would total less than $600 for the set. Anyone had any experience with these tyres? Thanks Terry

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My daughter had the Kumho kw11 on her Pontiac Wave for several winters. She never had any complaints and the tread life seem to be quite good. Are you sure those Costco steelies fit on the SX?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
15" Wheels for Rio SX

Marleyfan61-Have found out from 3rd kia dealer in Calgary( First 2 said definitely they don't fit:mad:) that the 15" Kia rims fit as do Mini.Nice thing with Costco.ca is that in the unlikely event that their fitment guide is wrong I can return to any Costco Store no questions asked.I will remove a front wheel & test that the rim clears the caliper & brake disc before I buy & install Tyres.This is all so frustrating & really makes me furious with Kia Canada & there lack of information to their dealers.They really aren't customer driven but then I don't know of any manufacturer in Canada who really gives a S--t about their customers once you have bought the car.I speak from 31 years of experience in new car sales.Sure glad I'm out of that business!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
Marleyfan61-Have found out from 3rd kia dealer in Calgary( First 2 said definitely they don't fit:mad:) that the 15" Kia rims fit as do Mini.Nice thing with Costco.ca is that in the unlikely event that their fitment guide is wrong I can return to any Costco Store no questions asked.I will remove a front wheel & test that the rim clears the caliper & brake disc before I buy & install Tyres.This is all so frustrating & really makes me furious with Kia Canada & there lack of information to their dealers.They really aren't customer driven but then I don't know of any manufacturer in Canada who really gives a S--t about their customers once you have bought the car.I speak from 31 years of experience in new car sales.Sure glad I'm out of that business!
i'm planning on getting the costco rims, so looking forward to hearing if they will fit over the front calipers. i guess they are universal fit rims so i'm hoping they were made to universally fit over all sorts of calipers!
keep us posted!
by the way, costco is the best for tires, and now that they do rims, that is awesome! i get all my tires from them, and they are really good with the road hazard warranty as well!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey folks,

Here is a picture of the 15" steels on my 2013 SX.

It definitely is a close fit for the front calipers, but they don't rub at all.

Samsvoc, I have only had the W409s for a couple of weeks. It has been fairly icy in Calgary. I can say they definitely provide great traction. My Fiancee had W409s all last season and she loves them. She had never had winter tires before, so she hated winter driving. She has found the iPike tires to be awesome, great control in deep snow and on ice. She still hates winter driving though.

Let me know if you want additional pictures of the 15" rims on my SX. Kia City in Calgary was the dealership I dealt with. The price I paid for the tires was good. However I didn't get a great deal on the steel rims.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Applewood Kia here in Surrey has a set of 4 of the iPike's on 15" steels for $850 plus tax. I haven't priced things out so I don't know if that price is high or not. Anyone have an opinion?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts